1991 Churchill

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Post Reply
User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

1991 Churchill

Post by JacobH » 21:37 Sun 19 Jun 2011

Opaque purple centre, fading to red translucent rim. Subtle fruit on the nose. In the mouth, some peppery round fruits and slight wateriness followed by a cherry liquor sensation. Some tannins present but subtle. Very attractive now. Another five years will probably bring this to quaffable levels, and another 15 or so to full maturity.
Image

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: 1991 Churchill

Post by RAYC » 21:40 Sun 19 Jun 2011

I must retry this then.

I've only had one glass (*that I can remember*) at TCP, and was rather disappointed. But this is the second rather more positive review i have read since then.
Rob C.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 1991 Churchill

Post by JacobH » 21:43 Sun 19 Jun 2011

RAYC wrote:I must retry this then.

I've only had one glass (*that I can remember*) at TCP, and was rather disappointed. But this is the second rather more positive review i have read since then.
For the record, this note is absolutely unlike the previous two I wrote on this Port which read:
‟Deep colour. Perhaps a touch of lightness on the rim. Quite a lot of heat. Only a little fruit. Quite austere in mouth; very tannic. A bit like a Dow. Perhaps closed?”
and
‟Not nearly as mature as the 1992 LBV. No other recollections.”.

Not sure what event the latter of those was from :shock: :shock:

I am beginning to think of 1991 as quite a disappointing year in general; lots of very light, early-maturing Ports seem to have been made, and within that context this was fine. Within the general Vintage Port context, perhaps not so good.

Perhaps we need to try this again to make a final conclusion? ;-)
Image

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11405
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 1991 Churchill

Post by AHB » 07:44 Wed 22 Jun 2011

JacobH wrote:Perhaps we need to try this again to make a final conclusion? ;-)
You mean on Thursday? To see if Phil wants to make Ch91 his new house port? A splendid idea - and with Ray not able to make it down to London it even has a place on the tasting mat!
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 1991 Churchill

Post by JacobH » 10:14 Wed 22 Jun 2011

AHB wrote:
JacobH wrote:Perhaps we need to try this again to make a final conclusion? ;-)
You mean on Thursday? To see if Phil wants to make Ch91 his new house port? A splendid idea - and with Ray not able to make it down to London it even has a place on the tasting mat!
Something along those lines!
Image

Post Reply