1987 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1987 Niepoort

Post by JacobH »

Reddish middle fading to edge. Slightly musty on the nose with distant black currants and cherries. Initially soft sugar in the mouth. Then some really sour cherries. Long elegant aftertaste, with a slight astringency at the very end. Slightly hard work to drink because of the sourness; it requires the concentration I would usually associate with something like a Sercial Madeira.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Quite dark in colour, smell very spicy with lots of fruit. Taste also full-bodied, spicy and warm very full flavour. Extremely nice falvour to me, but had a sour edge which I did not like. Discussion queried whether this was VA, and may be worth trying another to see. Without the sour edge would be delicious, but with it not worth the higher price over alternatives.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Mid red, still quite youthful in appearance; 80% opaque. Slightly hot on the nose with significant VA showing. Soft, sweet fruit on the entry, with a gentle spiciness on the mid-palate; showing plenty of body and fruit. Soft tannins and a nice balancing acidity. Lovely sweet aftertaste and a long spicy finish that is full of sweet blackcurrant cordial and dark chocolate. Very pleasant drinking. Was guessed to be Churchill 1985 by me and W85, D83 by others. 87/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.