1980 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1980 Dow

Post by JacobH »

Much deeper than the others. Complex dark, treacly toffee on the nose with a little mint giving an overall mint toffee sensation. A little fruit on the palate. Cherries perhaps, initially, then developing into a clear cherry flavour. Quite tannic. Long aftertaste. Well integrated with sugary acidity.

Rob completely led me astray on this one by quoting my own Dow 1980 tasting notes at me earlier in the tasting. My thoughts when guessing where ‟is this a Dow 1980? No, because Rob has already been talking about it in a way which means he can’t have brought it. It must be an 1987 then. Perhaps a Vargellas?”...probably managing to talk myself out of the only perfect guess of this year...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Very, very dark colour, with almost no smell. Very intense, full falvour with some acidity, minimal fruit. Seemed immature, as though it would need another 5+ years, but might be very nice once it opens up.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Very dark red, 99% opaque. Closed on the nose, but some work releases lots of fresh applemint. Brooding on entry, restrained fruit, still quite tannic. Sweet and fruity on the palate. Acidity shows on the aftertaste before the long and tannic dryness of the finish shows through. This is a big port in need of time - one to leave for another 10 years. 84/100 for current drinking but perhaps 88/100 in the future. Guessed to be FG91, Vg87, Cr91.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.