1934 Dalva Colheita (bottled 1973)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1934 Dalva Colheita (bottled 1973)

Post by RAYC »

Tasted 7 July 2011 at TCP as part of the AbV II tasting

Links:

Review of the evening as a whole

San Leonardo 10yr Tawny (bottled 2010)
Barão de Vilar 20 yr Tawny (bottled 2010)
Fonseca 30 yr Tawny (bottled 1982)
1934 Dalva House Reserve (colheita, bottled 1973)
1986 Warre Colheita (bottled 2007)
Buller's Fine Old Malmsey (NV, Aus Rutherglen)
1969 Domaine Mas Mouriane Maury
1994 Dow VP

Planning and Arrangements
Placemats

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottled 1973. From (though not served in) an interesting misshapen bottle with streaks of sediment clearly visible through glass, this had clearly continued to develop in the course of its 38 years in bottle.

Incredibly dark brown with greenish tinge, this was noticeably more acidic than others in the line up but with really rich mouthfeel and long, long nutty aftertaste. "Madeirised" (DRT), with most guessing Madeira at first.

With two first picks and two third picks, this was WOTN by a hair.
Last edited by RAYC on 15:34 Mon 11 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1934 Dalva House Reserve (colheita, bottled 1973)

Post by DRT »

I recall saying that this was the same colour as a 1937 Colheita, which was the closest I got to guessing anything at this tasting.

It certainly was more like Madeira than port, but was a very nice glass of wine.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 1934 Dalva House Reserve (colheita, bottled 1973)

Post by WS1 »

also my wine of the night; by far the most complex and concentrated wine. Certainly this was helped by a nudge of oxidation due to leaking cork and maderation as a consequence. Over all dark brown colour and had a very good finish. Despite its handicap it was very good; had an umami taste that came accross rather "cool" despite the slight ufge of oxodation. This is also what i like on these sort of wine (well cellared tawny ports); you loose the "hot" burning touch of the alcohol.
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain