1963 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WS1
Cruz 1989

1963 Martinez

Post by WS1 »

worst of six bts I bought from a merchant I trust ( father of merchant was port lunatic :) ). Very dirty bts, look to be stored in a cool dirty cellar. English botteling ; Charles Kinloch, upper shoulder to base of neck level. Cork is completley wet and slightly leaking; still good level. Tawnyish in color, quite pale, slightly darker than bitter orange marmelade. Slightly oxidised/maderised touch but very enjoyable to drink. Lots o orange, orange peel with slight touch of bitterness through maderations/oxidation. Good length and body, but clearly handicapped by bad cork. After checking the other bts it looks like the best bts have still a red colour. It looks like a very good port but I guess due to cost constraints bad corks were used at the time :cry:
Over all a delicate port that should be drunk now; will also report about the other bts since it looks like provenance is very good. Perfectly leveled bts (cork intact with red colour) will last longer.
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain