1967 Cockburn

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1967 Cockburn's Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

I bought 8 bottles of this very cheap earlier this year. Storage conditions are dubious to say the least so prossibly not a fair representation of this wine.

I opened a bottle for a family dinner last weekend. I did not make a tasting note at the time but did observe a distinct decanting time preference that I will use for the other 7 bottles.

On opening the wine there was very little on the nose - not fruit or alchohol evident. The cork came out clean and intact and had not dried out or absorbed much liquid. I took this as a good sign but happy to be told otherwise for a wine of this age. The colour was that of an aged tawny although slightly pink rahter than brown.

I tasted the wine immediately after decanting and all I could taste was spirit. Not good.

After 2 hours I got a rich caramel aroma and a fabulous delicate taste. I really, really enjoyed this glass. After 4 hours I served the bottle to the table. Everyone loved it - especially as it was only the second bottle of anything that they had tasted that was more than 10 years old! - I thought it tasted like paint stripper.

Lesson learned for remaining 7 bottles is - drink entire bottle between 1hr 55 mins and 2 hrs 5 mins after opening 88)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Slightly buggered then?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps not. I opened another of these a few days before I met up with Al-B in Birmingham. I saved some for Alex to try and by the time it got there Alex's opinion of it was quite complimentary. Hopefully he will chime in with a TN at some point.

I still have 4 of these so might pop one next time we are meeting up so we can all have a go 88)

Derek