1985 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1985 Martinez

Post by DRT »

Decanted three hours.

Bright, dark red. Spirity and dust on the nose. Nice weight, very smooth entry. Lots of plummy, dark fruit but quite hot in the mid palate. Lots of menthol and sweetness in the finish, which is very long and warming.

A dilemma: (a) this clearly needs more time in the decanter; but, (b) this is an emergency.

Yes, yes, I know emergency situations call for emergency solutions. I will struggle on.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1985 Martinez

Post by jdaw1 »

A magnum, dear boy, a magnum.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thank you for the sound advice. I am coping very well, safe in the knowledge that I have the equivalent of four magnums of this only ten yards away from where I am now. I think I will survive the night.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Three hours on and this is now drinking very well. There is still a strange thing going on with the nose but the heat on the palate has gone and the fruit is now coming through.

Whilst this is a very nice glass of port, I don't think it will improve with more time in the cellar and is probably ready to drink now. It is by no means going down hill, but it doesn't have the substance and backbone that would be necessary to keep it developing further.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+2 days.

Sweet cherry nose, all the heat and dust have blown off. Now drinking extremely well, thick and unctuous. Lots of berry fruits and some tannin in the long finish. This has certainly benefited from time in the decanter. Great port.
Ernest H. Cockburn