G-man in San fran sept 2011

What happened?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

G-man in San fran sept 2011

Post by g-man »

So 2 days of food and wine

first night 1977 Factory House (was unknown) turns out the factory house is a factory house blend of all barrels that the port houses sent to them for the jubilee.

very interesting and ready to drink. This was pure liquid honey and candy with no signs of heat at all.

Second night with a whole roasted hog

1960 Dows (bottled by hawker's)
1970 Offley

I'll have to post notes on these later
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: G-man in San fran sept 2011

Post by g-man »

It was fun meeting with alot of the members of the wine spectator forums in san fran.

First night was at michelin starred One Market restaurant with 10 other fellow bacchians.
Highlights was a 1985 Mumm's grand cordon, 1995 Rausan Segla, and 2000 Clos de Papes
(there were 9 other bottles that I was too drunk to remember)
The 1977 Factory house port was decllared WOTN and stole the show.

The next night was at http://www.Stefaniawine.com where Paul (the wine maker) roasted a 40 lb hog + 10 lbs of sausages, chicken and pulled porked. There were over 20+ bottles opened so I have no idea what I was drinking.

The pig was incredible and I had some saved to pair with the dow 1960. It was a fantastic pairing as the fat in the pig really held the spirits in check and brought out the spices applied to the pork. The offley was just overwhelmed by the pork.

WOTN was mentioned to me as the offley 1970.

Notes below that I'll move to the TN section.

The Dow 1960 was popped, open air decanted for an hour and tried.

The nose had a little funk of celery, anise and cranberries.

It was big, full, and spirity. Notes of orange rinds and red licorice with a strong juniper berry finish.

This definitely needed more decant time for the spirits to come off.

The 1970 Offley was a half bottle and awesome, approachable and ready to drink now.

Nose of honeyed marmalade, the body had some sweet lithe and perfectly mature cinnamon sprinkled candied cherries.

This was decanted for 2 hours in open air and was perfectly ready to drink now.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz