NV Fonseca Tawny 20YO (bottled 1978)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

NV Fonseca Tawny 20YO (bottled 1978)

Post by DRT »

D+0
A rich, dark, golden-red colour. Not much on the nose, perhaps a little candle wax. Very thick and extremely smooth in the mouth. Delicious sweetness at first but then a slightly hollow mid-palate. The sweet, nutty finish grows in the mouth and seems to go on forever. Very good :)

I hope the nose and the hollowness sort themselves out with some air as this could turn out to be a stunningly good wine.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: NV Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny (bottled 1978)

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:D+0
A rich, dark, golden-red colour. Not much on the nose, perhaps a little candle wax. Very thick and extremely smooth in the mouth. Delicious sweetness at first but then a slightly hollow mid-palate. The sweet, nutty finish grows in the mouth and seems to go on forever. Very good :)

I hope the nose and the hollowness sort themselves out with some air as this could turn out to be a stunningly good wine.
Another one of those bottles! I have one left. Did it need much decanting? I have found these need very careful decanting to get the fine sediment out.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:Another one of those bottles! I have one left. Did it need much decanting? I have found these need very careful decanting to get the fine sediment out.
I think you are thinking of Fonseca 10 Year Old Tawny, bottled 1979.

This was a lone bottle that I acquired in a batch of oddments on eBay about 5 years ago. It does have some fine sediment,but I'm gritting my teeth :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:D+0

WHOA! hold the phone. This isn't the first time I've heard of you loving a wood aged Port. So just stop this non-sense now as your giving you and your fellow UK'ers a bad name :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's OK. He's mixed it with some blackcurrant cordial before tasting it :330000:
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote:WHOA! hold the phone. This isn't the first time I've heard of you loving a wood aged Port. So just stop this non-sense now as your giving you and your fellow UK'ers a bad name :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can it still be called ‟wood-aged” if it’s spent far longer in the bottle than the barrel? ;-)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JacobH wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:WHOA! hold the phone. This isn't the first time I've heard of you loving a wood aged Port. So just stop this non-sense now as your giving you and your fellow UK'ers a bad name :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can it still be called ‟wood-aged” if it’s spent far longer in the bottle than the barrel? ;-)
Only if the bottle is wrapped in wood
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote:
JacobH wrote:
Only if the bottle is wrapped in wood
Yikes; does that mean a substantial part of my Port is ‟matured in cardboard”? :shock: :shock: