1970 Dalva

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Dalva Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

A slightly leaky bottle from Uncle Tom's cellar. Here is a picture of the bottle, slightly broken cork, decanter and 400g of fillet steak 88)

On Decanting
A very brown colour, still quite dark in the decanter. A lovely smell of cherrys filled the room as I decanted. Nose is quite hot. An orange tinge to the wine, which is much lighter looking in the glass. Initial sip has a nice mouthfeel and is full of cherry flavours. Obviously a mature VP that isn't going much further but very pleasant. The finish has some fire but that may well integrate with some air. I'm looking forward to having this with a nice big rare fillet steak later tonight 88)

+8 Hours
A nice light fruity nose and darker in the glass than on decanting. Good thick texture and lots of red fruit flavour, predominently cherry with a hint of liquorice. The heat has gone. A nice length to the finish. I'm now off to eat my steak :D

+9 Hours
The second glass, without food this time. A floral nose and now a very attractive colour and weight. My cheeks are watering with all those red fruits. No tannins to speak of and the heat has now fully integrated.

I had this wine about 4 years ago (no note) and was not impressed. This is much, much better than I expected. I still don't think it will improve further but it is by no means over the hill. I think this wine will drink very nicely over the next 5 years.

On Tom's scale I would venture a score of 6-5

Derek
Last edited by DRT on 00:12 Sat 29 Sep 2007, edited 4 times in total.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Excellent timing on the tasting note as I've got one of these on its way to me from a spot of sales shopping - and its intended for early drinking!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

I will try to save you a tatse for when we meet on Wednesday but can't promise anything at this stage :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

The Port looks marvelous. I still suggest the white stenciling is the 'proper' way that such delights are labelled.

You know what's coming.....

I'm getting used to those tiles now. Cant say I like them, but I'm getting used to them. :roll: And I love the 1970's Fanny Craddock Steak dish! Awesome. Thankfully it wont affect the taste, and it looks a beaut. Just dont spill the juices down your sheepskin, or your bird wont be impressed. To many of those gorgeoous steaks and you wont fit in your yellow capri! :D :P :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am pleased to report that I am now outside my fillet steak :D

Fanny gave me that dish in her Will and I insist on using it each time I cook a good old fashioned British meal.

Derek

PS: That is not the normal amount of steak that I would consume in one sitting. But when one's vegitarian girlfriend is in another country one has to take advantage of circumstance :lol: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

No point in telling me! I was the dope who was sent back in the kitchen to cook 'second' steaks for you greedy buggers. Next time you lot come round here, I'm just going to buy a Pig and a Cow and tie them up around the side of the house! :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

white stencilling

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:the white stenciling is the 'proper' way that such delights are labelled
I also vote for white stencilling.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Remember to buy a blow-torch so that we can sear them for a few seconds before we begin to dig in :lol: :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Food

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:I'm just going to buy a Pig and a Cow and tie them up around the side of the house
Good idea, but we might also be needing a sheep and a few ducks. Plus some goose liver. And oysters. And that should be enough, unless there’s more than half-a-dozen of us.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

rhubarb crumble and custard

Post by jdaw1 »

And did I forget the rhubarb crumble and custard? That was careless.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Welsh rarebit

Post by jdaw1 »

And has nobody mentioned Welsh rarebit? My, we are slacking.

(Guess who is on a diet, fantasizing about food.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Jdaw,

Does the lump of fillet in the picture above look cooked enough for you?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

A little searing is allowed, but not required.

Post by jdaw1 »

Fantastic. A little searing is allowed, but not required.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I did sear it, just enough to bind the peppercorn crust 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

400g - wimp!!

At least call it 14 ounces... :roll:

I did a 47oz fillet on my birthday this year (washed down with G45.. :P )

Getting back to the wine, what's the clarity like? I've noticed that the Da70 has some very fine and easily disturbed sediment - last but one bottle was a tad cloudy and not brilliant - last one I stood up for several days and handled very carefully - it was much better.

Sometimes though, the last (slightly sedimented) dregs from a decanter can be the best..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

I stood this up at 10:00 this morning and decanted at 13:30. I was surprised by the lack of crust and, like you say, it is ever so slightly cloudy. I decanted the last glass through a coffee filter and it was clear and bright. That was what I sipped on decanting in the above note.

This is a very nice bottle of port. Please remind me what I paid you for it? I'm sure it is very good value.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Please remind me what I paid you for it?
£15 - want some more?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

:D :D :D

PM time :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn