1970 Offley

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1970 Offley

Post by jdaw1 »

A Ragbag of Good Port, Monday 19 September 2011, at the Steak Exchange. Links:
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1970 Offley Boa Vista

Post by PhilW »

Medium colour, simple straightforward port but very pleasant drinking. Best 70 of this offline for me (although possibly only because the Martinez was VA tainted). Very good.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Pale rose colour, turning orange at the rim; 30% opaque. Modest nose, showing some faint menthol and juniper. Soft, medium-bodied entry. The flavours are initially restrained, but open well on the palate to give a lovely balanced flavour. Sweet cherry and dry leather dominate the aftertaste and finish. Very pleasant port, although a touch dry on the finish. 85/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

You know AHB,

I thought i had yer palate pinned and I thought this would be a wine you'd really love.

I felt it to be perfectly matured port offering a fine blend of delicacy and balancae.

It's not as spicy (certainly not a block buster next to its 1970 brethren like the fonseca) but it's one I felt is what port strives to be when it's mature.

I would have placed this in the low to mid 90s and this particular bottle has me out looking for more offleys.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A brief note: Peppery nose - some spirit - very mature - soft - drink up.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

g-man wrote:You know AHB,

I thought i had yer palate pinned and I thought this would be a wine you'd really love.

I felt it to be perfectly matured port offering a fine blend of delicacy and balancae.

It's not as spicy (certainly not a block buster next to its 1970 brethren like the fonseca) but it's one I felt is what port strives to be when it's mature.

I would have placed this in the low to mid 90s and this particular bottle has me out looking for more offleys.
It was good, a score of 85 is an enjoyable wine, but this particular bottle was drying out a little, with one or two empty spots on its palate profile. However, if I had a bottle at home, I would happily open it and would choose to drink it rather than a glass of water!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:
g-man wrote:You know AHB,

It was good, a score of 85 is an enjoyable wine, but this particular bottle was drying out a little, with one or two empty spots on its palate profile. However, if I had a bottle at home, I would happily open it and would choose to drink it rather than a glass of water!
ah ha, I can see that about the palate profile.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

g-man wrote:I felt it to be perfectly matured port offering a fine blend of delicacy and balancae.

I concur.

I have a lot of time this port, which is a great example of an elegantly mature port with no great pretensions. Straightforward? Maybe a touch. But no obvious flaws or disjointedness, which is more important to me.

Ticks all the boxes a dinner guest who is not an aficionado would want and expect. It ticks most of my boxes as well, and does what it does at a great QPR - can be had for £40ish a bottle all in...

This particular bottle did not quite reach the same level as the two other times i have tried it, but i still find it hard to be too critical bearing in mind its easy-drinking nature and modest price tag. Probably at/around peak maturity now so not for long-term cellaring, but i will be suprised if it didn't last well for at least another 5 years. Note, as before, says "must buy". A high *** on this occasion.
Rob C.