1977 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

1977 Sandeman

Post by Chris Doty »

The first of four bottles I picked up earlier this month at an online (Acker) auction.

Cork was very soft, and quickly fell an inch or so down the neck as I tried to uncork the bottle, but ended up giving in within too much of a fuss. A pleasant translucent ruby color to the wine, clearly not a monster, but somehow suggesting a certain elegance and dignity which I appreciated.

D+ 0 hrs - On the nose, a mixture of sour cherries and nailpolish remover / VA. Not great, but not flawed, just not polished. Where the wine sings is in the mouth, really fresh attack with good grip and acidity. Dominated by spices, but with appreciable primary fruit. Finish is smooth, sweet, and satisfying. Terry says 'from the same family as chocolate' and 'racy little spices' but also 'I don't like the nailpolish nose'

D + 2hrs - Color is broadly the same, but the nose has improved considerably. The VA/Nailpolish scent is entirely gone, replaced with a cinnamon meets cherry aroma. Still long, spicy, and smooth. Really solid showing thus far.

D +12hrs - Curiously, this wine has recently turned into liquid liquorice. Really quite delicious!

D+ 20 hrs - Still going strong and drinking beautifully.

It had been a long time since I popped a VP, but this bottle tonight is really making me wonder why I indulge so infrequently.

A wine that is likely at or near its peak (IMHO), but not one you need to rush. A solid 89 points, and the best $33 I've ever spent on port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1977 Sandeman

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Delighted the Sandeman 1977 turned out so well for you - it shows the benefit of extended decanting.
Chris Doty wrote:It had been a long time since I popped a VP, but this bottle tonight is really making me wonder why I indulge so infrequently.
Perhaps because much of your port is still in the UK?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

AHB wrote: Perhaps because much of your port is still in the UK?
Availability isn't the constraint (~90% of my port is safe and sound in the U.S.). I think it has been a combination of the warm weather, and the fact that port is a taste that many in my generation have yet to acquire, so that when people come over, or when I go to a party, I generally grab a 'sure fire' crowd pleaser, rather than a wine with 20% abv that needs to be decanted through a coffee filter and left to sit for 12 hours.

Hopefully as the weather begins to change and people start wanted to lounge by a fire with some chocolate, I will let the port join the party.

As for my bottles in the UK, I got an email from John at Seckfords this morning (he hadn't been returning my calls). Hopefully I'll be able to get everything sorted out. Will PM you if I have any issues. Do you know if it is possible to remove a few bottles at a time, or is this an 'all or none' sort of operation?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Chris Doty wrote:
AHB wrote: Perhaps because much of your port is still in the UK?
Availability isn't the constraint (~90% of my port is safe and sound in the U.S.). I think it has been a combination of the warm weather, and the fact that port is a taste that many in my generation have yet to acquire, so that when people come over, or when I go to a party, I generally grab a 'sure fire' crowd pleaser, rather than a wine with 20% abv that needs to be decanted through a coffee filter and left to sit for 12 hours.

Hopefully as the weather begins to change and people start wanted to lounge by a fire with some chocolate, I will let the port join the party.

As for my bottles in the UK, I got an email from John at Seckfords this morning (he hadn't been returning my calls). Hopefully I'll be able to get everything sorted out. Will PM you if I have any issues. Do you know if it is possible to remove a few bottles at a time, or is this an 'all or none' sort of operation?
if yer aching to just kill a bottle of port, let me know.

it's easier to accomodate offlines of 2 people as Jdaw1 and I used to do.
Ie, the time we had champagne for breakfast, port for brunch, then off to a proper lunch, before finishing the 80/85 tasting when sushi came over at night.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

g-man wrote: if yer aching to just kill a bottle of port, let me know.

it's easier to accomodate offlines of 2 people as Jdaw1 and I used to do.
Ie, the time we had champagne for breakfast, port for brunch, then off to a proper lunch, before finishing the 80/85 tasting when sushi came over at night.
Sounds like a very gentlemanly way to spend an afternoon!