1997 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1997 Niepoort vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Intense red colour, 99% opaque. Huge volume of VA leaps out of the glass, nothing else can be picked up on the nose. Full in flavour, with intense over-ripe black cherry fruit showing the influence of the VA on the palate. Gentle tannins show on the finish, which is intense and long lasting. This could have been a fabulous port. Not rated.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1997 Niepoort vintage port

Post by RAYC »

Decanted @10.00a.m. and obviously bad from the outset. No obvious signs of seepage before cap was removed, at which point it was clear that port had permeated right the way up the side of the cork on one side.

A pity, as i had refused delivery of two other bottles that were obvious leakers before accepting this one, but BBR very kindly re-imbursed me without quibble (for which i was very grateful). NR. And i just couldn't get past the nose to determine what it could have been.

Does anyone know if the much-discussed bottling issues affect the magnums or half-bottles?
Rob C.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Uh oh.

I think I have 3-4 bottles of the 97Ni in cellar. When its not spoiled, it is a real gem. Sadly, notes like this one appear to be the norm :(

Glad BBR refunded it. They're a classy shop and I am not surprised that they did the right thing.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Looks like it was looking younger but also more volatile than my bottle just over a month ago. Thanks for the reminder to drink up!