1970 Borges

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

1970 Borges and Irmao

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Decanted at 16.00 in order to be served after a (seriously well cooked! :chef: ) 4-course dinner for 6. We started on it at about 21.30 / 22.00 therfore decanted for about 5.5 hours.

Didn't take notes, so from memory. Here goes:

Nice colour, still quite deep red, lightening up to a little orange at the rim. Still lots of fruit on the nose, no (alcoholic) heat anymore, well integrated. Good mouthfeel all around, jammy red fruits, soft tannins on the palate. A nice finish, of medium lengts as wel (can't be sure but I would guess about 25-30 seconds of firm finish.
In my limited experience with old(er) VP's this was an excellent example of a fully mature VP at it's peak, but given the fact that it still showed no signs of fatigue I would say it still has some life in it before it will start to fade away (although the bottle was finished at this evening, so I did not have a chance to revisit on a later time or date.
Opened / drunk 29 October 2011
:D