1970 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Sandeman vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Generous red colour, showing late youth; 70% opaque. Late youthful nose, with generous fruit but a little hot and with lots of spicy curry leaves. Soft texture on entry, generous sweet fruit and Bertie Bassett licorice. Soft tannins and positive acidity; some sweet blueberry on the mid-palate. Nice development of flavour. Bubblegum aftertaste and on the early finish; very sweet, slightly cloying but with good length supported by cocoa tannins. Slightly lacking in balance, but still a bit youthful. One to try again in 5 years. The nose really developed nicely in the glass, with the palate developing better balance; this was much improved after 2 hours. 86/100. Drunk 11 November 2011.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1970 Sandeman vintage port

Post by RAYC »

Clearly in impeccable condition despite dubious colouration/markings to label - generous nose on decanting, deep colour for a 70, pleasant heat and sweetness with good fruit and sufficient complexity to make an interesting port. Impressively youthful for its age - guesses by AHB and THRA put this as a 1987/1991, i seem to recall. Drinking very nicely.

I was clearly more impressed by this than AHB (but i do have a very sweet tooth) and thought it a very good showing - will look to acquire some more at the right price **** (90)
Rob C.