1963 Cockburn

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1963 Cockburn

Post by g-man »

As I was travelling, this was unfortunately a pop and pour.

And that did it no justice as this particular bottle felt like it needed minimum 6 hours of decant time.

Bottle looked perfect with no signs of seepage, into neck fill.

Upon removing wax capsule, I see that the cork is wet all the way through and the was some wine sitting in the wax air pocket.

Poured and decanted for sediment.

Beautiful ruby color with a hint of brown. Bricking around the edges.

Thick waft of spirits at first, but when it blew off nose of condensed milk, cinnamon covered cherries, and some red fruit.

The body was just huge. This really coats the mouth with thick honeyed melon fruits that I found myself looking for some acidity. A great lingering woody finish that went on and on.

A wine worth looking out for.
93+

i only took 2 tasting glass fulls for notes and gifted the rest to my guest to take home.

The note was taking at D+0.

I'm sure it would have been better after dinner however our party of 2 drinkers have already had 1/2 bottle of Fonseca 60, a bottle of 86 Palmer and a bottle of 86 Conseillante and i had to drive 30 minutes back to the hotel.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz