1996 Dow Bomfim

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1996 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted December 2005 (still have some .375's, must try one again soon!):
This is one of the better QPR's (or VFM's in KillerB's terms) around at ┚¬ 12,99 per 375ml.

I had this a couple of times already, but apparently never bothered to produce a TN. So here it goes:

(decanted for 1,5 - 2 hours) Dark colour with a rusty red bricking. Beautiful nose with sweet dark cherries, plums, dark chocolate and mint. No apparent alcohol. Mostly dark flavours on the palate: again chocolate, cherries accompanied by black and chili pepper. Good freshness. Medium bodied, with supple, well intergrated tannins. Peppery and medium sweet finish. Very nice port for drinking now and in the near future. Not too complex, but all the flavours in the right place: 88 points.

Tried it again after 24 hours in the decanter: more tobacco on the nose and palate, and a bit more full-bodied. Lost some of its freshness though, and is seemed to be a bit more interesting on day 1.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

From half bottle, decanted for three hours. Medium sweet nose of mainly rose hip, which is predominant on the flavour as well, accompanied by some rsapberries and cranberries, and sweet chili pepper on the slightly dry and moderately tannic finish. Fairly easygoing, pleasant port that doesn't seem to be heading anywhere special. 86 points.

The decanter emptied quite fast between the two of us.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Well, it sounds like Dow. I'm not upset at having paid £15 per full bottle but it suggests an earlier drinking window than I was expecting. Sounds like a Christmas Port to me.
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Definitely. It's a nice enough port, and I guess it'll be a crowd pleaser.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronnie,

I've got a few 750's of these, should I hold them for a bit longer, or are they pretty much getting near their peak?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

They havn't started yet!

- another ten years and we're talking!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It wouldn't do harm to keep it longer, but IMO it's just as good to drink now. It's an easy drinking, pleasant port, but not nearly one of the best examples of Bomfim. Perfect for early consumption if you ask me.