2005 Croft Roeda

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2005 Crofts Da Roeda Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

Tasted at Crofts in a half bottle.

The standard high quality dark-purplish color with violett reflexes. Very deep. Nose is very fruity with a strong Cassis-touch. Very inviting for this stage of the game. Mouthfilling with present but not overwhelming alcohol and tannins. Fruity, mostly blackberry. Medium to long aftertaste. One of the 2005s to look out for depending on the price.

I took it on Friday from Croft via Niepoort to the hotel (still halfway full), then went to Pinhao on Saturday, slept at Passadouro, went back to Porto (I guess this was not enough time to develope the douro bake), Monday with the plane to Germany and tasted the rest on Monday evening: Still very elegant, fruit more intense than on Friday. Good SQVP-Potential!
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Axel,

Interesting. Can I ask if you actually enjoy such young Ports, or are you tasting/judging it for the future?

Alan.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I think you need to try a very, very young port. My limited experience of these is that in the first year or so after bottling they are huge fruit bombs that, although heavy and difficult to drink much of, are extremely enjoyable. That said, I think it is deeply sinfull to drink them and I hate myself for ever doing so :roll:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Exactly!

Post by Axel P »

Alan,

although Im not from the UK, doesnt automatically mean Im american (just kidding).

From my point of view young and mature ports can not be compared. Its a totally different tasting experience, but both have their charme. If I had the chance, I would always go for the mature ports (and twice on sunday), but having said that, the price shouldn't be left out of view.

The big challenge here is avoiding the reduction-phase of the wines, because some are becomming very uninteresting to drink in this phase. Right now nearly all of the 2000s, some of the 2003s are getting into and many of the 1997s are still in it. So leave this wines. The 94s are awaking again and it's a lot of fun to drink these again.

To answer your question: tasting young VPs is a lot of fun and a bombastic tasting experience, but you shouldnt expect anything like drinking mature ports. In good young ports all the elements are there, but not fitted in line.

Im trying to judge them concerning complexity and ageing potential. Its extremely interesting to see how different wines develope in the bottle.

Axel