NV Warre Otima Tawny 20YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

NV Warre Otima Tawny 20YO

Post by KillerB »

Realising that I was in a room with the proud owner, the developer, the adminstrator and moderator of a succesful Port board but none had had a glass of Port since its inception (two days ago), thought I'd better find one. Needed to be immediately accessible but better than Dow 10 yo tawny, so Otima 20yo tawny it is.

Colour a bit like a nice Northern bitter pulled in a London pub, clear and inviting but no frothy head. Leggy without the intimidatory power shots and grunts that accompany Maria Sharapova. Nose is masses of caramel with an alcoholic background. In the mouth it is thicker than the 10yo and lots of dried fruit, orange peel and the caramel again. Not as enjoyably simple as the 10yo either but has its merits. Less a Summer Port than I was expecting but it is not chilled and may be more enjoyable that way but I don't want to kill it.

Nice but I have reservations. Will return with more comments.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I like the 20 yr old much better than the 10. I don't think it needs chilled. I love the colour description - spot on :wink:

Derek
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

As Roy Walker says "Say what you see".

The citric peel notes are becoming more obvious and so more interesting. I can see a reason for having both this and the 10yo in stock. I like the 10 chilled, it's nice and simple but still very enjoyable. This is a bit more grown-up.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: This is a bit more grown-up.
You'd better give it to someone else then :lol: :lol:
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I have... and she likes it too.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Can I say that I DIDN'T see the big difference between this and the 10year old. It was twice the price and I love them both. Just cant see the difference you guys can.
So I'll happily stick to the 10year old and pick it up now and again, and hope it goes on offer somewhere, sometime, but I'll wait untill someone 'Offers' me the 20year old, before I try it again, rather than spend double.

Does that logic make me a probationary Scot!

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I could tell the difference straight away purely by the body - it was richer in texture. I paid less than £15 for these whilst the 10yo is just under £10.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Its the texture and longer finish of the 20 year old that stand out for me.

Àlan, that logic allows you to progress straight to yorkshireman without passing go!