1970 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Quinta do Noval

Post by uncle tom »

A bottle with a good level (Oporto bottled) and rather unusual red stencilled lettering on the bottle.

Selected because the capsule was noticed to be a little sticky...

Cork came out intact, but the transverse branding took a little time to work out - at first I thought it was dated '66, but the orientation of some letters showed that the branding machine had hicupped, printing the 9 twice, and missing much of the rest..

Quite a brownish brew, with modest sediment.

First sip:

No bottle stink, but sharp at this point as one would expect - coffee comes immediately to mind, and in a slightly offbeat way, this is very suppable.

As this is a '70, I've decanted late in the evening, and will revisit late tomorrow afternoon.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

I had the same impression!

Post by Axel P »

Hi Tom,

I had the same experience with my bottle 3 years ago. No warning, but the 70 Noval isnt really a good VP from such a year. It faded after 3 hrs. in my decanter, though it wasnt very intense before this. Very many signs of age, definitely no potential at all to get better.

I had it together with the Noval 63, which was never a good 63 as well.

So good luck with the remaining wine!

Axel
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The '70 vintage is probably the best to illustrate the distinction between 'British style' and 'Portuguese style' ports

The British house produced wines that are generally in very good form now, with excellent colour and integrity, and a lot of life left - whereas the Portuguese style wines are looking distinctly brown and tired, with a rather sweet, chocolatey signature.

The Noval is clearly in the Portuguese camp. After 24hrs this has acquired some integrity, and the fire is gone - but it is no star.

To score:

For immediate gratification, this is perfectly drinkable and enjoyable, but it is close to being in the bottom quartile of all VP's. A 3.

Where's it going? Past its peak without doubt, but with enough sugar to fossilise it for eternity, this is not going down fast, so a point off.

Score 3-2

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I should have known better - this being a '70 - when I tackled the decanter last night (48hrs on) it was very much improved, with the rather cloying sweetness now well integrated into the wine.

I won't know if will be better after 72 hrs though...

Tom