2005 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2005 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

This was an experience, one shouldnt miss. Went to Niepoort last Friday with an appointment with Verena. First Jose Rodrigo showed up and explained everything I ever wanted to ask in an outstandingly interesting way. To make a long story short. After some other ports we finally came to the 2005 VP (together with a 62 Colheita (bottled in 97):

the "normal" young VP-Color, deep with purple reflexes and a very strong structure. Very intense. You can smell the alcohol and the tannins very moderately but present. A classic VP, very fruity. In the mouth you feel the fruit blasting, but all the other elements to give this wine ageing potential are there as well.

Much potential, definitely one to look out for.
Last edited by Axel P on 09:18 Fri 28 Sep 2007, edited 1 time in total.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

Thanks for that, sounds like another Niepoort I'll stash away for some time in my fifties
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

How spooky - AHB, Christopher Gee and I will be tasting a cask sample of this tomorrow evening :shock:

Will report back here

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Had it last year as a cask sample and it was awsome :!: