1994 Tesco

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1994 Tesco

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Purchased yesterday at the very fair price of £18. Opened today and decanted through unbleached coffee filter paper - and leaving a generous amount of sludge in the funnel. Tasted at D+4.

Deep red in colour, very dark but just starting to lighten on the rim. Either opaque or 99% opaque - I can't quite make my mind up. Soft aromas on the nose, a hint of blackcurrant, a hint of applemint. Restrained and dry impact but sweet, ripe fruit floods through in the mid-palate. Soft tannins and gentle acidity deliver a very pleasant mid-weight palate that grows and develops in flavour. Hot acidity dominated aftertaste before this gives way to a very long finish of mild coffee and yellow gooseberries. Perhaps a modest 86/100 as it shows now.

I suspect that this is slightly closed and will benefit from a long decant. Luckily there is plenty left and I shall report how a 24 hour decant affects this port tomorrow.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1994 Tesco vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Sadly, extended decanting for 24 and 48 hours did not really make any difference to this port.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1994 Tesco vintage port

Post by RAYC »

I must admit, my last couple of bottles of this have made me think these really should now wait for a while.

Though in the sales they are priced so keenly that it is hard to resist....in some ways a bit of a shame (in port terms) that so many bottles of this will be popped before their time because of this...
Rob C.