1983 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1983 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

The first time I have had this port and I had the pleasure of drinking it in the company of AHB and Chris G tonight at the Crusting Pipe.

Decanted 8 Hours

Very dark and sticky in the glass. Some spirit on the nose and a very young smell but an unmistakable whiff of Graham's. A huge tannic mouthfull with dark cherry and plum. A little burn midway through and very dry on the palate and lips.

This was a much bigger wine than I was expecting and was much younger in appearance and taste than my last experience of the G85.

Score: 7-9
Last edited by DRT on 22:58 Fri 28 Sep 2007, edited 1 time in total.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

A bottle joined Death Row yesterday..

..would have trundled down if I'd known.. :?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This is the tasting note that I took as I was tasting the bottle that Derek wrote about above.

Very dark centre, deep red rim (the same colour almost as the Skeffington '94 tasted at the same time). Obvious alcohol on the nose, but a lovely blueberry juice and a damp earthiness mixed in with it. Sweet entry with a lovely acidic structure. Raisins and raw Christmas cake mix came through in the mid-palate. A soft texture but with tannins that are hiding behind the fruit, a 24 year old wine but still so youthful with very little by way of tertairy characteristics. A stunning aftertaste that goes on for ages - every time you run your tongue round your cheeks more of the aftertaste floods back into your mouth. This is an absolutely stunning wine that will continue to improve over the next 20-30 years. It's nowhere near its peak yet, but when it reaches there it may well be a 98-100 point port. 8/10 or 94/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.