1991 Quinta de la Rosa

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1991 Quinta de la Rosa

Post by DRT »

Served here.

Decanted 24 hours.

Dark red, slightly cloudy. Nice floral nose. Very smooth, medium weight, with lots of ripe fruit and dry, powdery tannins. I like this port.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1991 Quinta de la Rosa

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Dark red, solid and opaque at the centre. Crushed blackcurrants on the nose, attractively floral. Dense black cherry on entry, a dry edge with the tannins hidden under the fruit; a touch of VA in the palate - or perhaps over-ripe fruit. Deep and intense with a lovely balance. Lovely black cherry and dark chocolate aftertaste and finish. A great example of a '91 that will reward further time in the cellar. Delicious. 90/100. Drunk 19 Jan 2012 after 24 hours decant.

One thing I noted going back through my tasting notes is that this port really benefits from an extended decant at the moment. When tasted after 24 hours, I consistently score this in the low 90s. When popped and poured, I score this in the low- mid-eighties.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.