1977 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1977 Taylor

Post by jdaw1 »

On Wednesday 8th February 2012 four port enthusiasts met in The Bung Hole to enjoy some fine port, served blind. And we did. Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1977 Taylor

Post by jdaw1 »

T77: lovely mid red. Dry, both on nose and start of palate. To taste dry then strawberries, then dry again. Mid-weight; the dryness ‟overwhelming”. No fruit, but lovely.

DRT, knowing that he had never had T77 before rued the absence of AHB, who said DRT would doubtless tell him that he had. Nay matter: PhilW and I named reminded him of three in the last four months.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:DRT, knowing that he had never had T77 before rued the absence of AHB, who said DRT would doubtless tell him that he had. Nay matter: PhilW and I named reminded him of three in the last four months.
Cruel, but true.

Dusty nose - perhaps Warre? "Yum-yum, yum-yum" Delicious sweetness. Dry liquorice in the mid palate with red fruits in the finish, which is very long. Splendid Port. I'm surprised I have never had it before :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Medium colour, slightly light but inviting nose; minimal fruit but delicious flavour, complex and long. Taylor isn't my usual house of preference, so I was impressed by how good this was to me. Pipped by the D77 overall.

Extra bonus to have brought along a good bottle which Derek had never tried before :roll: