1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena

Post by DRT »

VA nose smooth, soft and with lots of chocolate. A dry finish and some heat.

This is becoming a disappointingly regular experience with this Port. It showed lost of promise about 5 years ago but seems to be going through a bad patch. I hope it comes out of it well, but I doubt it will.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena

Post by DRT »

"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SWM88: red by red-pink, 50% opaque. Nose of wet vegetables. Corked? Same in taste. DRT thought VA. I thought corked. Whichever, not liked.

Various mis-guesses by JGH: Df91, Df92, then because DRT had said that he had drunk it a lot Croft 2004 LBV. JDAW’s guess was ‟horrible”, which gained in accuracy what it lost from non-specificity. Commendation to DRT for not thinking that it was his first time with this port.

Voting was unanimous (by those present, JGH DRT JDAW): winner GM92; in second place the Rr00; third the G91 on its second day; unplaced SWM88.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Good colour; deep purple to invisible rim. Slightly spirity; VA perhaps? Some cabbages on the nose. In the mouth, some fruit and a little spirit. Slight hollowness reminded me of the Caves Santa Marta pink... A flawed bottle, I think.