2009 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

2009 Taylor

Post by Chris Doty »

Tasted at Taylor's lodge on March 4th.

Naturally quite opaque and viscous, this newborn was still able to give some pleasure. Good grip, good intensity, and showing fairly bright fruit. Still, I suspect that this will fall behind the 2007 in my view (and the 2003, for that matter), but it really is too early to tell.

A treat to try.

Score withheld (too young).
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2009 Taylor

Post by g-man »

Chris Doty wrote:Tasted at Taylor's lodge on March 4th.

this will fall behind the 2007 in my view
wanna bet a bottle?

You win, I buy you a mag of the 07
I win, you buy me a mag of the 09 ;-)

15 years henceforth we shall test both blind and see who was right??
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

hmmm...interesting...and i thought there was fairly broad consensus that the 09 was a step up from the 07....

I wasn't wowed by the 07, i must admit. I haven't yet tried the 09.
Rob C.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

RAYC wrote:hmmm...interesting...and i thought there was fairly broad consensus that the 09 was a step up from the 07....

I wasn't wowed by the 07, i must admit. I haven't yet tried the 09.

well the fun part is that us youngin's are the next generation of port drinkers. This would be a great chance that I happen to have had both on release and have taken notes, that I'd be very interested to see if i was indeed right in a decade or so.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Happy to take the 07 / 09 bet (though can I make mine the 07 Noval?)

I generally don't get much pleasure out of Taylor young (i.e., less than 35+ years of age). Even the 1970, if properly stored, drinks young to my taste.

The 07 was not stellar in my view (below Noval, Warre, and perhaps one or two others) but it did have a finish that was packed with tight fruit which gave me hope for its long-term potential. The 09, while broadly similar in its composition, felt...I dunno...just somehow, less memorable. Now, it was served from a 375ml, and I don't know how long it had been opened (I assume not long, given the venue), but who knows. Rating ports these young seems really like rating new born babies.

I'm sure in the fullness of time we will all accumulate a wealth of TNs on each.

:P
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Just tasted both side by side again. I would bet on this, too, since I fully believe the 09 is the more classic and more powerful wine.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com