1994 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

1994 Taylor VP

Post by JohninNYC »

Aromas and flavors of stewed raspberries, sour cherry, cranberry, dark chocolate, vanilla bean, and nutmeg. When revisiting this wine, picked up on milk chocolate ”“ never before bounced between the types of chocolate! Anyway, I gave this one a top 3 vote.
Attachments
Label photo
Label photo
photo-84.JPG (77.12 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1994 Taylor VP

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: deep, dark garnet. Second darkest only to the still surprisingly purple 1995. Possibly still opaque, though the poor restaurant lighting made it difficult to tell for sure.

Nose: rather closed - not much to smell. Possibly some violets, but given the prevalence in the other Ports in the lineup it is equally possible that the violets are simply permeating the room.

Palate: Gorgeous. Exquisite. Wonderfully balanced with good tannins, acidity, alcohol, and fruits. Still young, though not oppressively so. Very surprising to me for a teenager - after the nose I fully expected this glass to be closed down or in turmoil. Is it therefore maturing early? Hard to say, but it is delicious right now.

Score: 96 points. As with the T70, possibly the best example I have tasted of this Port. My POTN by a narrow point over the T70.
Glenn Elliott