1968 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

1968 Taylor Vargellas SQVP

Post by JohninNYC »

Pronounced flavors and aromas of plums, raspberries, blueberries, (Then also some cranberry, white chocolate, and vanilla bean when I revisited this wine)
Attachments
Label photo
Label photo
photo-80.JPG (83.85 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1968 Taylor Vargellas SQVP

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: similar to the '69 but not quite as dark.

Nose: violets and sweet cherry. A little bit of alcohol/heat, but not so much that it intrudes.

Palate: good balance, good flavor. A little too close to cherry cough syrup, but not nearly that intense. Just a touch more tang would help balance the sweetness considerably, but it's significantly better here than in the older Ports in the lineup.

Score: 92+ points. Neck-and-neck with the '69, but to me just falls short. I feel like the '69 has more improvement left in it, while the '68 is probably pretty close to done. Both would make fantastic daily drinkers if they weren't so rare.
Glenn Elliott