1983 Quarles Harris

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

1983 Quarles Harris VP

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Tasted on March 7th 2012

Opened in celebration of my wife's birthday. Decanted for about 5,5 hours before taking the first glass.
Slight sign of some seepage (coloured selo).

Colour:
Even (light) cherryred colour, hardly any fading towards the edge of the glass.

Nose:
Ripe young red fruits, mainly cherry. Some light alcoholic tones, vanilla, wood tones (the actual material, besides the vanilla) and some spices (pepper comes to mind).

Taste:
Powerfull mouthfull of VP. Leather, some tobacco, dried red and yellow fruits (cherry again, also peach, mango and even pineapple). Again heat from the alcohol (quite persistent), and then followed by some orangepeel and liquorish. Not a lot of tannins left in this bottle.

Finish:
Again powerfull, dark tones and flavours of spices. Lasts for about 45 seconds.

Conclusion:
This bottle seems, though still (for me at least, who doesn't mind the power of the presence of alcohol in nose and taste) quite enjoyable, out of balance a little. It is not as accessable as it should be right now, because this bottle lacks (in my opinion) the tannins and fruit that it would need to be able to age long enough for the alcohol to integrate in this VP.
I'll give it 80-85 points.

Point of interest. On day two it had lost nothing whatsoever on the nose or palate (kept it overnight in the decanter with glass stop in about 11 degrees Celcius).