1947 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Jeff W
Cruz Ruby

1947 Quinta do Noval

Post by Jeff W »

The bottle had a good level, around the base of the neck, but was showing seepage. I removed the cork about four hours beforehand, and decanted just before serving.
The colour was a watery, muddy red-brown - quite unappetising, unlike the nose, which was very inviting. Though the fruit had faded, there was plenty of acidity to balance the sweetness, and all in good harmony. It was a gentle port, and rather dignified and refined in an elderly way. The party had some wine geeks, but mainly not, and all were respectful of age - the decanter was quickly polished off.
I kept back a small glass and tried it 24 hours later. Now it had woken up, acquiring fire and power. A lovely old port, but I rather regret not giving it a much longer decant.

(With thanks to Alex for taking the time to check out the bottle.)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1947 Quinta do Noval

Post by g-man »

lovely first post!

welcome to the boards.

was the muddy red brown from lack of filter decanting?

perhaps shaken up in transit before tasting?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Jeff,

I'm delighted the bottle turned out so well and really appreciate you posting your impressions of the port - it's not one seen very often these days so it's really interesting to see a tasting note.

As and when you decide to open the other bottle I took a look at, you are very welcome to ask for thoughts and opinions as to the length of time it should be decanted! It's always fun watching the different opinions that you'll flush out.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Welcome, Jeff!

The 1947 Noval was my first "epic" experience with Vintage Port. It was my Port of the Night on Sunday at the 2009 Port Gala in Seattle and really opened my eyes to what a well-aged Vintage Port could be.
Glenn Elliott
Jeff W
Cruz Ruby

Post by Jeff W »

Thanks everyone.
g-man, I filtered when I decanted, and it had been standing for some time.
I don't have much experience of very old port, but it reminded me of a 1908 Taylors, which had a similar brown tinge, while being perfectly delicious. It seems strange to say a wine is prematurely aged when it's 65, but that's the way it seemed to me. Who knows what happened to that bottle in its long life.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Jeff W wrote:Thanks everyone.
g-man, I filtered when I decanted, and it had been standing for some time.
I don't have much experience of very old port, but it reminded me of a 1908 Taylors, which had a similar brown tinge, while being perfectly delicious. It seems strange to say a wine is prematurely aged when it's 65, but that's the way it seemed to me. Who knows what happened to that bottle in its long life.
mmm
when you say muddy, I'm assuming that the wine was actually opaque and not clear at all

much like a 63 hoopers which looked like "p()p" in water.

you're just referring to the color of mud?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz