1975 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1975 Dow vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

One of the very few bottles to get through eBay without being deleted by the puritanical eBay police..

Cost me £13 + plus a modest detour from my travels to collect it (along with a Malv '79 that Derek relieved me of)

Slightly sticky neck, although good level.

This is a wine that has not impressed me in the past, but is sometimes ranked among the vintage's winners - so worthy of a re-visit.

Decanted at midday - came cleanly off it's sediment, but a very pale wine for it's age. First sip revealed a floral note, but also an aroma that is better suited to a hospital than a bottle of wine..

Five hours on and the odd smell has gone - as has everything else - it is now almost odourless.

On the palate the tannins are a bit obtrusive, and there is a hint of the earthiness that seems to be a hallmark of the year.

So far, this is a long way from impressing me...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Eleven hours on and the wine has darkened quite dramatically - I don't think this is entirely down to the transition from natural to artificial light.

Stranger is the appearance of a bouquet - not stellar, but the backbone aroma of a good wine.

It does make me wonder if the concept of layers in the decanter carries some weight - did I first pour off a light pale topping to the wine, and am now indulging the darker richer body of wine in the decanter below?

I'm not really sure..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

29 hours on and the wine has developed a little further - noticeably darker now with a distinct orange hue

To score:

Last night I was contemplating giving this is a measly 1 for immediate gratification, but I now think the wine can just about scrape a 2 - the upper end of the bottom quartile.

Where's it going?

- Down, but probably not very rapidly - it still has some integrity..

Score 2-1

- not one of the vintage's winners!

Tom