NV Santelmo White

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: NV Santelmo White

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Santelmo White, costing a whole €4.99 from Lidl France. Luxury when I was a lad we used to dream of !

Yellow, not gold, and perhaps 5% opaque. Nosing of red grapes. Much richer texture than the Cruz white, but drier. Not any good as stand-alone port, but actually an excellent cocktail ingredient. My immediate reaction was that this would make an excellent Pimms substitute: mixed one part this, one part tonic, one part fruit juice, and add a summer afternoon.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

This bottle reinforced my belief that to be a good cocktail base, a white port needs to be at the dry end of the scale.

On it's own this was a fairly uninspiring quaff - but a dash of tonic made a huge difference..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Pity I don't like Pimms...

From Lidl. Very pale in colour, a hint of green on the rim - less than 5% opaque. Muted on the nose, but with a very plastic smell. Waxy dominated apricots on the palate, with a slight hint of white pepper. Decent balance but unattractive flavours. Long finish, full of fake sugar and plastic. Unpleasant - a port to avoid. 65/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.