NV Casal dos Jordoes Finest Reserve Ruby

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Casal dos Jordões Finest Reserve Ruby

Post by JacobH »

Casal dos Jordões is not a shipper you often see for sale in the UK. They are based up the Rio Torto. I’ve only seen and tried their basic tawny before which, like this, is produced organically.

From a half bottle, bottled unfiltered, this seemed to have some age since it wasn’t dense purple in the middle and it faded to a reddish rim. On the nose, though, there was very little fruit and lots of heat, with perhaps a slightly odd smell. In the mouth, too, a disappointing lack of fruit, a great deal of heat and a slightly odd aftertaste. I wasn’t quite sure whether this bottle was flawed or whether the wine is just quite weak and spent too long in the bottle. However, I think even if it was over-aged, it should age more gracefully and have much stronger fruit present than this. Rather disappointing, especially since the unfiltered organic ruby independent producers is something I am usually very keen on.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV Casal dos Jordões Finest Reserve Ruby

Post by JacobH »

48+ hours later, this has pulled itself together. Nice red fruit on the nose, with a little grapiness. In the mouth good grapes, a little soft red fruit (might I even say strawberries?) and a longish attractive aftertaste.

Always odd how some Ports improve with extended decanted. Just a shame there is so little left...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

This used to be available in organic shops in Holland (and maybe still is, I don't know), so I bought it once or twice. I was never really keen on it though, thought it was overly sharp and lacking in pretty much everything else.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

That’s a fair comment. I had another glass after writing the note last night and it was more like what I recorded in my first note. Might have to stick to the Fonseca Terra Prima when I next feel a need for some organic¹ Port!

[¹ Yes, I know that all Port is basically organic in any event...]