1980 Offley

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1980 Offley

Post by uncle tom »

1980 Offley Boa Vista VP
First bottle from a case bought a few months ago.

Bottles quite heavily bin-soiled inside a fairly fresh case, so presumably these have spent most of their life at VNG.

None of the levels good - low neck to base neck - I suspect they were not very well filled at the outset.

Decanted 6pm - reassuringly dark wine, small amount of flakey sediment.

First sip:

Once again an Offley is showing a Taylor/Vargellas signature. I'm trying to identify a note that separates the two, and have observed that some Offleys seem to have a harder edge - I will look for this when I tackle a glass proper later.

From a horizontal perspective, I have yet to identify a defining note for the '80 vintage - the Chameleon vintage perhaps!

More anon..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Late last night I thought I might have the defining 'signature' sussed, but now, 18 hours after decanting, this is a Taylor in all but name.

A somewhat light but very flavoursome wine, still with youth on it's side - a wine for 'current drinking'

Will re-visit tomorrow before I score.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

A day on and the wine is now beautifully smooth - but it is also showing a little more youth than before.

There's loads of life in this wine - one of the long haul '80's I'm sure.

To score:

For immdeiate gratification this is well up the scale - top quartile? - not quite - but an easy 7

Where's it going? I think this wine will probably peak in another decade, and at that point should be easily able to deserve another point.

So score: 7-8

Tom
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I quite like offley ports as you know Tom but I am sadly lacking in the later vintages