1992 Quinta do Vesuvio Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1992 Quinta do Vesuvio Colheita

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep red in colour with a solid rim. 99% opaque. Restrained on the nose, with a surprising lack of VA but an attractive meat and mint tone. Thick and unctuous texture and a good concentration of flavour with deep tones of prunes and damson - a fabulous palate presence. The long prune finish fades only very slowly to deliver a slightly flabby brown sugar. Tasty, but becoming slightly flabby. 87/100. 12-Jun-12.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by JacobH »

Can you remember when this was bottled?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I would assume bottled in 2012. The majority is left in the cask until needed, with just a few bottles being held in the cellar as drinking stock - I guess the equivalent of a cellar defender if you are fortunate enough to have your own quinta!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JacobH wrote:Can you remember when this was bottled?
Probably within a week or so. Though that is just a guess as it's only bottled as needed/requested at the Quinta (the casks are stored at the Quinta and not in Gaia).
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Probably within a week or so. Though that is just a guess as it's only bottled as needed/requested at the Quinta (the casks are stored at the Quinta and not in Gaia).
+1

I loved this Colheita when we had it on the 2010 Harvest Tour. It had a nose of caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, hazelnut, and some perfumed alcohol. The palate had brilliant balance and was luscious, silky, and very rich. The acidity was great and was what kept it all in balance.

Hard to believe that 2 extra years in wood could make that big of a difference to the perception of the acidity, but that's what it sounds like is missing from this TN of Alex's.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:Hard to believe that 2 extra years in wood could make that big of a difference to the perception of the acidity, but that's what it sounds like is missing from this TN of Alex's.
I think it is worth bearing in mind that this is not a finished wine. These bottles that we have tasted have been drawn directly from cask at various times, sometimes served immediately, sometimes stored in a fridge and opened, sometimes opened and then stored in a fridge, sometimes not. I think it is very difficult to compare notes on this wine without knowing all the parameters. Perhaps we should just enjoy the pleasure of having been lucky enough to have tasted it and not worry too much about a score ;-)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
+1

I loved this Colheita when we had it on the 2010 Harvest Tour. It had a nose of caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, hazelnut, and some perfumed alcohol. The palate had brilliant balance and was luscious, silky, and very rich. The acidity was great and was what kept it all in balance.

Hard to believe that 2 extra years in wood could make that big of a difference to the perception of the acidity, but that's what it sounds like is missing from this TN of Alex's.
I'll have to check my notes but I thought we had the 1991 in 2010??