Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Post by PhilW »

PopulusTremula wrote:I would very much like to attend, provided there's availability of course. Having never attended one before, it seems like a great way to get my port tasting feet wet. I can sponsor a bottle purchased retail if gaps still exist and of course top up to the overall cost per head of £125, should that be required.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Magnus
Hi Magnus - have sent you a PM.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

An update on planning.

Tom and Magnus have now confirmed, so we're now at least 13 (so just one more space available). On that basis, I'm happy that we can now include the W60 and F60 in the line-up and maintain reasonable cost, which I will finalise soon (sooner if we fill the last spot).

Phil.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

+BMHR, which gives us a full set of attendees.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I spoke with the Helen at (the premises formerly known as) The Bung Hole last night to confirm arrangements, so all is now in place. We are booked in "the office" (the larger of their rooms downstairs, as used previously) for the tasting, with a separate table in the main room for food.

Ports are being supplied as follows:
AHB: F55
Carl: W66, F85
DRT: W63
JDAW: W70
THRA: W55, F60, F63
PW: W77, W85
RAYC: F66, F77
WS: W60, F70

I have confirmed that the 350g bone-in rib and 800g club steaks are not on the menu but are still available providing we pre-order, cost subject to final confirmation from new management by the end of this week. Expected cost is currently therefore:
£145 = cost per head, including the port, starter, 350g bone-in rib main course, corkage and tip
where main course is optionally upgradeable to 800g club steak for an extra £25.

Fair warning: once I get confirmation from TBH on steak prices, I will be chasing people to confirm they are happy with bone-in rib or wish to upgrade to club steak, and then for money :shock:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:We are booked in "the office" (the larger of their rooms downstairs, as used previously) for the tasting
The Function Room is the larger room; the Office seats at most four.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Apologies...I am not able to attend this tasting...any costs incurred will be reimbursed.
Please advise if you wish me to cancel Jancis Robinson.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Yikes, I didn't know know Cookie was in the business of "canceling" people. We all ought to be careful lest we end up with a horse's head appearing in our beds! ;-)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Attendees and placemats adjusted; Jancis Robinson assumed still attending at this time.
-RLC
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:placemats
Please post a link to the placemats.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:placemats
Please post a link to the placemats.
I will when I've finished fiddling with them... :shock:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:I will when I've finished fiddling with them... :shock:
That typically happens within a day of printing. Trust me: I have experience of these matters.

Nonetheless, early in the process I post a link. (Though never more than 13¾ months before the tasting.)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Placemats updated here.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Placemats updated here.
I like the chaining a use of MakePathConnectingGlasses that I had not anticipated. Very good. And how did you get the logo on the page? Please post or PM or email. But eight glasses is very tight on A4, even with INAO glasses, and just too tight for the Bung Hole.

Details:
• One of the external links is still at default value, linking to the example placemat, rather than to your creation.
• Does (Warre) need kerning: [(W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre)]? And you’ve been inconsistent about the possessive.

(Note to self: get permission.)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:And how did you get the logo on the page? Please post or PM or email.
Will email the postscript. This will entail admitting I have added one line of code below the line that says "do not modify below here unless you are Julian Wiseman" :o
But eight glasses is very tight on A4, even with INAO glasses, and just too tight for the Bung Hole.
I really (really) did want to try and keep it to two pages rather than three, to keep the mirror between pages. It is 'only' 7 glasses/page (not 8); is this still too tight?
• One of the external links is still at default value, linking to the example placemat, rather than to your creation.
I thought this was intended as a reference link to your placemat software, rather than to a copy of the specific pdf?
• Does (Warre) need kerning: [(W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre)]?
I have already used kerning in the header; kerning does not appear to work within the Circlearrays text - "[ (W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre's) (1955) ]" leads to gross separation of the "W" and "arre's" I think due to separate string spacing when Circlearrays is used; is there additional syntax/brackets that would help with this?
And you’ve been inconsistent about the possessive.
fixed (I believe).

Updated here and emailed to you as .ps file.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:I have added one line of code below the line that says "do not modify below here unless you are Julian Wiseman"
The bitmaps done splendidly: I must find software that can output the text. Please, what is the name of the format? But your extra line could have been avoided with /PaintBackgroundCode {TypeOfPagesBeingRendered /Glasses eq {PlaceProducerLogo} if} def.

PhilW wrote:I really (really) did want to try and keep it to two pages rather than three, to keep the mirror between pages. It is 'only' 7 glasses/page (not 8); is this still too tight?
On A4 paper seven and eight are the same radius, which is too small. If you don’t believe me print one page and test with your home glasses.

PhilW wrote:
I thought this was intended as a reference link to your placemat software, rather than to a copy of the specific pdf?
I use it, and intended it to be used for, a link to the latest version. So if somebody copies my/your website, there is still a pointer home.

PhilW wrote:
• Does (Warre) need kerning: [(W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre)]?
I have already used kerning in the header; kerning does not appear to work within the Circlearrays text - "[ (W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre's) (1955) ]" leads to gross separation of the "W" and "arre's" I think due to separate string spacing when Circlearrays is used; is there additional syntax/brackets that would help with this?
Are you missing one layer of array brackets, with the items of the Warre compound string erroneously being items of the circle array?

PhilW wrote:Updated here and emailed to you as .ps file.
I have tended to have one name for my placemat files, repeatedly overwritten as updated. You have done versioning. Hmm, a question for elsewhere, but do people need versioning?
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:The bitmaps done splendidly: I must find software that can output the text. Please, what is the name of the format?
I used PaintShopPro, with input as 24bpp bmp, and output as 8bpp greyscale .eps (encapsulated postscript). I then copy/pasted the hex data into my own wrapper function. This also worked well using a 24bpp colour .eps which I did initially for the Fonseca logo which was white/gold on black, but this didn't look so good on white sheets, hence conversion to black/grey on white and use as grayscale. An extra note if using this method for other images; the postscript conversion didn't like large ones, I had to resize to small-ish ones to make it work; this could be a stack issue perhaps, or other, I have not investigated further.
But your extra line could have been avoided with /PaintBackgroundCode {TypeOfPagesBeingRendered /Glasses eq {PlaceProducerLogo} if} def.
Good point; I'm already using /PaintBackgroundCode so will put it in there.
PhilW wrote:I really (really) did want to try and keep it to two pages rather than three, to keep the mirror between pages. It is 'only' 7 glasses/page (not 8); is this still too tight?
On A4 paper seven and eight are the same radius, which is too small. If you don’t believe me print one page and test with your home glasses.
The maximum I can get to (by minimising margins as much as possible) seems to be Radius = 115.863; will try that at home tonight for size.
kerning does not appear to work within the Circlearrays text - "[ (W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre's) (1955) ]" leads to gross separation of the "W" and "arre's" I think due to separate string spacing when Circlearrays is used; is there additional syntax/brackets that would help with this?
Are you missing one layer of array brackets, with the items of the Warre compound string erroneously being items of the circle array?
Could you elaborate please? Perhaps by example to add kerning to the following (since my attempt failed):
/Circlearrays [ [ (Fonseca) (1977) ] [ (Warre's) (1977) ] ] def
PhilW wrote:Updated here and emailed to you as .ps file.
I have tended to have one name for my placemat files, repeatedly overwritten as updated. You have done versioning. Hmm, a question for elsewhere, but do people need versioning?
Habitual due to software releases etc, where source is under version control, but releases (and release candidates) get revision numbers. Not expected to be part of the postscript.

I have (in trying various things) two more suggestions for the placemat software.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Could you elaborate please? Perhaps by example to add kerning to the following (since my attempt failed):
/Circlearrays [ [ (Fonseca) (1977) ] [ (Warre's) (1977) ] ] def
See the parameters for the A Small Horizontal of 1966s on Tuesday 17th April 2012.

Or

Code: Select all

/Circlearrays [
	[  (Fonseca)  (1977)  ] 
	[  [(W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre) /quoteright (s)] (1977)  ]
] def
Observe that the Warre pieces are arrayed together, so making a single item. (Post not tested; I hope OK.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:I used PaintShopPro
GraphicConverter can save in EPS, and with some fiddling with the options, and then again with the output text file, it works. Useful: thank you.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Latest placemats including various tidy-ups, use of newly available parameters and updated to latest version of placement software.

I have increased the circle diameters to the maximum possiblen through sacrifice of margin widths while maintaining a single producer per page. I have tested at home and these fit ISO glasses with ease, and *just* accomodate the Riedels sufficiently. If anyone attending TBH in the near future were able to print a page of these and confirm that this is usable with their glasses it would be appreciated; I realise that an extra such visit to TBH will be a severe trial :990033:
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I have had confirmation on food prices, so will now be contacting everyone to confirm choices for pre-ordering. Finalised cost for the evening is £150 per head (slightly higher than previously mentioned due to higher food price) to include the port, starter, 350g bone-in rib main course with chips and choice of sauce, corkage and tip. Two larger steak options are also available at additional cost, either an 800g Club Sirloin at an extra £25, or a 1kg Club sirloin for an extra £45.

I will be contacting all attendees by email/PM and asking for responses by 30th Aug, followed by payments.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Re: Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Post by Glenn E. »

PhilW wrote:or a 1kg Club sirloin for an extra £45.
Don't worry Derek, I'm sure they'll let you order more than one. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
PhilW wrote:or a 1kg Club sirloin for an extra £45.
Don't worry Derek, I'm sure they'll let you order more than one. ;)
I'm being a good boy and going for the 350g Rib :P
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:I'm being a good boy and going for the 350g Rib :P
@Admin - it would appear that Derek's account has been hacked; please apply normal security procedures 88)
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

As I have already told Phil, Rebecca is unable to make this event as one of us needs to stay at home as a result of obtaining a puppy. Unfortunately for you she has let me rather than her attend :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My schedule on Mon 24th is now looking vulnerable I cannot be entirely confident of being early. There are tastings on Tue 4th Sept, Tue 11th Sept, and Tue 18th Sept: would it be possible to hand my W70 to somebody at one of these events?