1995 Quinta de Baldias LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1995 Quinta de Baldias LBV (unfiltered)

Post by RonnieRoots »

1995 Quinta de Baldias LBV (unfiltered, bottled 2000)
This is the last bottle of a batch that I bought in Portugal a few years ago. Apparently I never bothered writing a TN, and when we drank half the bottle yesterday, I didn't make any again. But I will compose one tonight when drinking the remains.

Impressions from yesterday: very nicely aged, supple and subtle, with some figs, raisins and tobacco. No heat at all and all tannins completely integrated. A nice drinker, that seems to have reached it's peak.

More to come...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tried again today. We saved part of the remaining port in a small decanter and left the other part in the bottle.

decanter: Some light fruit, but very much evolved and light. Some bay leave and maybe a little tobacco and and cocoa on the finish. Very supple glass of port. Not as good as yesterday, but still nice.

bottle: This certainly has more dense fruit than the sample from the decanter, still some fresh dark fruit, along with redcurrant and berries. Dark chocolate, and a fresh and fruity finish with a nice moderately peppery punch. This appears younger than yesterday. Very good, still has enough live in it to age further.