1977 Guedes

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1977 Guedes

Post by Axel P »

Fortified Friday!!!

Although it appears to me that almost every company has someone named Guedes employed, I have not heard of this brand before. Short cork with only "Vintage 77" on it. I learned that jdaw included this into his mini-77 horizontal in NYC and learned that it is a RCV-VP, which would surprise me as it is quite nice.

Very deep red color, intense viscosity. Rich bouquet with chocolate, white pepper and some underlying freshness. The integrated palate shows a very nice combination of spices, milk-chocolate and some honey and malty notes.

Very pleasant and I guess this will be better with more decanting time. 17/20

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1977 Guedes Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Interesting one Axel. My only experience with Guedes was a '67 LBV, and that was very nice! See TN here.
I also checked out some of the company history and found out that they were bought by RCV in 1967, so this was probably the last port they made as an independent company, or the first under new management... :wink: .
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1977 Guedes Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

Guedes klein.jpg
Guedes klein.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Not a label where you lack self esteem.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com