1989 Burmester LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1989 Burmester LBV (unfiltered)

Post by uncle tom »

After an unproductive day - given the time of year for yours truly.. - I didn't feel I owed myself anything special for the next bottle - especially as I'd had the pleasure of 69yr old and 101yr old colheitas over the weekend (kind courtesy of Roy Hersh)

I didn't expect much from this, given that Burmester have little reputation for anything other than aged tawnies..

..but we can all be wrong..!

Loads of sediment, a gorgeous nutty aroma as I decanted, and a really well balanced first glass straight after decanting, soft with raisiny, nutty notes - gorgeous!

Can this improve further? - it's already on course to claim the prize for my best ever LBV..

..more anon

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It will be interesting to see how this one develops. I've had quite a share of older Burmester LBV's, and found they reach their peak around 10 years of age. The 1989 that we had (about a year or maybe two ago) was mostly bitter and old.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Very little evolution in decanter - I suspect the oxidative ageing a good LBV gets in barrel serves to make air exposure after decanting less significant.

This is an excellent wine for it's class - on a par with a seven point VP.

I'd judge that this wine has several more years of peak drinking left - if only I had more bottles... :(

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill