1970 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1970 Sandeman VP

Post by RAYC »

The 2nd bottle out of a 10-bottle EB stash shared between WS1 and me.

Beautiful Avery's bottling (to look at), though corks are all slightly dubious and levels all base neck /top shoulder rather than in neck. Suggests these need to be drunk in next 5 years to be at best.

Anyway, instantly clear from nose that this is a serious wine - mint and cherry but overall just a fantastic and perfectly clean nose that screams classic aged VP.

To taste - seriously great - top 10 for this year. Savoury, mid-bodied, but so tasty and long long long finish with nice fresh orange peel persistence. Still tannic and lively.

A Sandeman to convince Sandeman-doubters...the next bottle from this stash will be reserved for a wider TPF tasting (in particular so that jdaw1/DRT can experience)

Serious stuff! two jaded "city professionals" giggling like kids when drinking this! ***** (93)
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1970 Sandeman VP

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RAYC wrote:...the next bottle from this stash will be reserved for a wider TPF tasting (in particular so that jdaw1/DRT can experience)
Is that to test JDAW's ability to consistently and correctly spot something served blind as "definitely not Sandeman"?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

AHB wrote:
RAYC wrote:...the next bottle from this stash will be reserved for a wider TPF tasting (in particular so that jdaw1/DRT can experience)
Is that to test JDAW's ability to consistently and correctly spot something served blind as "definitely not Sandeman"?
Haha - i had forgotten that incident!

But for some reason i have in my mind that Derek and Julian are among the least convinced of the merits of old Sandeman VP.
Rob C.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

RAYC wrote:But for some reason i have in my mind that Derek and Julian are among the least convinced of the merits of old Sandeman VP.

Really? Old Sandeman rocks. The went downhill quick after 1980 and emerged came back 1994. Similar story with Croft.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
keytohwy
Cheap Ruby

Post by keytohwy »

I also recently popped on of these. Cork was destroyed and ah-so could not manage it. Decanted for approximately 12 hours and it was just starting to hit it's stride. I'd recommend a longer decant, perhaps as long as 24 hours. Once the heat blew off, there was loads of fruit left and little evidence that this is near the end of life. Red fruits dominated, with just a hint of citrus on the finish. My second bottle, and it was consistent.