1994 Smith Woodhouse LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1994 Smith Woodhouse LBV (unfiltered)

Post by DRT »

1994 Smith Woodhouse (Bottle Matured) LBV
Bottled in 1998 with a nice long driven cork - as it should be.

This is an emergency decant as a result of reading some TN's and not having any port open in the house. I know, I am weak.

Lovely bright garnet red as it flowed into the decanter. Almost no sediment, which is remarkable for an unfiltered wine that has been in bottle for 9 years.

+32 Seconds
A beautiful nose, full of strawberry and blackcurrant. It smells thick, which doesn't live up to expectation in the mouth. A big black fruity, chocolaty burst is followed by a little heat on the edges of the tongue which then fades into a reasonable finish.

More later

Derek

PS: I have absolutely no idea where I got this from - my best guess is that I liberated it from Tom's cellar on one of my visits there but that really is only a guess.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+1 Hour 30 Minutes
The nose is now slightly spiritous. Thicker mouthfeel and now some pretty aggressive tanins emerging. The finish is dry on the tongue but mouthwateringly fruity on the cheeks.

This is a substantial wine and ranks alongside Warre's and Niepoort as the best examples of LBV's I have tasted.

More tomorrow.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I didn't get to taste this yesterday due to circumstances beyond my control (which is code for went to the pub and drunk lots of beer).

+48 Hours
Still lots of nice cherry on the nose. A thicker mouthfeel than I remember from 2 nights ago and now seems to be even more tannic than before. The sample I am tasting has been in the fridge since decanting so perhaps is not that evolved.

I have a quarter bottle of this that I filled on the night I decanted it and it has not been refrigerated. Watch this space...

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

2nd sample at 48 Hours.

Same nose. Lighter in the mouth with more sweetness on the entry then a slight bitterness and not the same length or quality of finish.

A very good example of why it is good to refrigerate port between sittings.

I'm not going to score this as it has been thoroughly abused since I lifted it from the cellar 48 hours ago. However, it is a very nice wine and one that I would like to have again when it can be shown more respect.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,

This is a very good LBV and one of my favorite also. Seems that about 10-12 hours of decanting and this starts firing on all cylinders. I've never had one last more than 24 hours, so your note at 48 hours was good to read. An LBV that will last for many more years.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

PS: I have absolutely no idea where I got this from - my best guess is that I liberated it from Tom's cellar on one of my visits there but that really is only a guess.
You bought it from me in May

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thought so :wink:

I'm finishing this bottle off tonight. I poured the 2 samples into one bottle last night and placed in the fridge.

+72 Hours
Still has a lovely nose. Mouthfeel is thick and satisfying. No tannins to speak of now but still bags of fruit and no alchohol.

Tom, I think we need to talk :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn