Upside-Down Union Jacks

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Upside-Down Union Jacks

Post by jdaw1 »

Some pedants are, allegedly, annoyed by Upside-Down Union Jacks.

Please send me photos of like crimes.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Upside-Down Union Jacks

Post by RAYC »

I thought it could only properly be said to be "upside down" when it is attached to flag pole (which provides the reference point for the broadest white diagonal, which should be uppermost nearest the highest point of attachment).

Otherwise, surely, whether it is "upside down" depends on which side you are looking at it from... (for an example of what i mean, see here - which by your diagram / rule of thumb is "upside down", but i would argue is not)
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Flagpole always deemed to be on the left, unless it isn’t.

Words to this effect have been added.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

Really don't care which way up they are, but on another point of pedantry, if this question is related to Olympics then surely you mean Union Flags not Jacks.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

mpij wrote:on another point of pedantry, if this question is related to Olympics then surely you mean Union Flags not Jacks.
Use of the term ‟Union Jack” to refer to the national flag of the United Kingdom has been sanctioned by the Admiralty and by Parliament.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Some of this pedantry seems to be aimed at the use of single- rather than double-sided flags, which will always cause problems when displayed in a window (though not as many problems as, e.g., the Saudi flag causes).

I also enjoy the reverse-pedantry on the choice of name of the flag ;-)
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
mpij wrote:on another point of pedantry, if this question is related to Olympics then surely you mean Union Flags not Jacks.
Use of the term ‟Union Jack” to refer to the national flag of the United Kingdom has been sanctioned by the Admiralty and by Parliament.
Indeed - The Flag Institute seem to suggest that qualms about using "Union Jack" in all circumstances is a relatively modern phenomenon.
Rob C.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

RAYC wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Indeed - The Flag Institute seem to suggest that qualms about using "Union Jack" in all circumstances is a relatively modern phenomenon.
Whilst both terms are in current use today, a pedant referring to the flag as the ‟Union Jack” is in the same category as one who adopts American ‟-ize” spellings when the words are of Greek etymology; it is clearly an example of reserve-pedantry, attempting to justify something that is commonly thought to be wrong¹.

However, since we are now engaging in that debate ;-) I note that the ‟Parliamentary” approval quoted by that article is, in fact, a throwaway line at the end of an answer to a question by the Earl of Crewe in reply to a question as to whether ‟the full Union Jack may be flown on land by every citizen in the Empire as well as on Government Offices and Public Buildings”. It seems to me to be a) not an example of Parliament’s approbation; b) perhaps more indicative of the government’s view than Parliament’s; and c) not really going to the question of the name of the flag.

[¹ not that such things are necessary wrong; I know I am guilty of it in a few places, too...]
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Some of this pedantry seems to be aimed at the use of single- rather than double-sided flags, which will always cause problems when displayed in a window (though not as many problems as, e.g., the Saudi flag causes).
In some cases it might be that a flag was to be viewed from the other side of the window: in such cases, no photo was taken, nor criticism made. Where the flag would not be visible from the ‘correct’ side, or where there has been obvious inconsistency, then I have expressed disapproval.

The comment about the Earl of Crewe is noted with interest. He was responding, in Parliament, to a question on the subject of the flag, his answer not being in any way subsequently corrected or amended. How is that not definitive?
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Perhaps an absence of correction denotes acceptance rather than approval?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Some pedants are, allegedly, annoyed by Upside-Down Union Jacks.

Please send me photos of like crimes.
Two more flag crimes added.

And a link to the statement of the Earl of Crewe added to the correct place.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:The comment about the Earl of Crewe is noted with interest. He was responding, in Parliament, to a question on the subject of the flag, his answer not being in any way subsequently corrected or amended. How is that not definitive?
Two reasons. Firstly, the purpose of questions being asked in Parliament is to seek the view and scrutinize HM’s Government (c.f.). The Earl of Crewe was, I think, the Lord President of the Council at that period and therefore a cabinet minister. His answer to the question is therefore an explanation of the views of the government, not of Parliament. For Parliament to give a view, there would need to be a resolution of both houses to that effect. Secondly, the question does not seem to relate to what the correct name for the flag is, but whether it can be flown. The Earl of Crewe may have simply not corrected the asker out of politeness.

Whilst I don’t disagree that there are many sources which support the use of ‟Union Jack” (though I wonder if many are from the last 25 years); that comment seems an odd one to rely on.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A link to the previous post has been added.

And another flag-crime added.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

On a trip to London a few years ago JDAW taught me to spot a Union Jack improperly displayed. I now look at everyone to see who's done it right or wrong.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:On a trip to London a few years ago JDAW taught me to spot a Union Jack improperly displayed. I now look at everyone to see who's done it right or wrong.
When looking for upside-down Union Jacks it is best to look at every one, rather than looking at everyone. :wink: :QuotePedant:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:On a trip to London a few years ago JDAW taught me to spot a Union Jack improperly displayed. I now look at everyone to see who's done it right or wrong.
When looking for upside-down Union Jacks it is best to look at every one, rather than looking at everyone. :wink: :QuotePedant:
But I must do both if someone is wearing one. :lol:

Of course you could all show up to your next offline dressed like this and give JDAW a real fit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Difficult to be sure, but I think the flag in the foreground is upside down. This is one of the official pictures on the Team GB Facebook page :?
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-09-07 at 19.33.38.png
Screen shot 2012-09-07 at 19.33.38.png (516.26 KiB) Viewed 64306 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT, you appear to be correct. Should someone inform them?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:DRT, you appear to be correct. Should someone inform them?
The Union Jack Chief of Police has been informed and will take whatever action he feels is appropriate ;-)
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could somebody with Facebook expertise make, on the TeamGB Facebook page, a post pointing to www.jdawiseman.com/upside.html or to twitter.com/jdaw1/status/244364511547637761. Thank you.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Please could somebody with Facebook expertise make, on the TeamGB Facebook page, a post pointing to www.jdawiseman.com/upside.html or to twitter.com/jdaw1/status/244364511547637761. Thank you.
Screen shot 2012-09-08 at 18.49.21.png
Screen shot 2012-09-08 at 18.49.21.png (73.08 KiB) Viewed 64284 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Those who enjoyed this thread might also enjoy this.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Those who enjoyed this thread might also enjoy this.
You owe me five minutes of my life. Too much canned laughter; too little that was actually funny.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Am I allowed to be particularly disappointed that, in this BBC article, the BNP have the flag upside down?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Please, come to Belfast, where we can do a tour of upside-down Union Flegs.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...