Sat. 13th Oct; great Ramos Pinto vertical from 1880 - 2007

What happened?
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Sat. 13th Oct; great Ramos Pinto vertical from 1880 - 2007

Post by christopherpfaff »

A large Ramos Pinto vertical in October in Leverkusen, with ports of three centuries. Apart from 13 wine lovers, also Mr. Joao Nicolau de Almeida (chief winemaker of Ramos Pinto) and Mr. Joao Machete (export manager of Ramos Pinto) joined this unique tasting, who was perfect organized by Axel Probst (many thanks again).

Powerful and elegant - the vintage ports from Ramos Pinto

The vertical axis on the three centuries has clearly shown that the Ramos Pinto Vintage ports are equipped with a structure that allow a long development. Even in the over 60 year old ports I have found that alcohol and acidity are in perfect harmony with the other components. The 1880 Vintage Port was a great experience and one of the best ports from the 19th Century that I have been drinking. In the great vintages of the first half of the 20th Ramos Pinto century sprout pad has some vintage ports that are impressive high quality. Since the early 80s, Ramos Pintos 1980, 82, 83 and 85 put down a series of ports that are resistant to the top five of her vintage. We see here already the distinct mark of Joao Nicolau de Almeida, whose style is powerful, concentrated and fruity port, with velvety tannins but more present, with small to medium sweetness, making it elegant. Even the newer vintages follow this style with a consistently high quality and with the young ports are not undrinkable, but at the same time bring a backbone for a long development.

The 1924 is darker in color than his colleagues from the 30s, it is spicy and slightly bitter, still alive with medium body, shows a lot of character and a long finish, beautiful notes of tobacco.
The bottle of the 1931 vintage port was unfortunately failed and showed fungus on the nose and on the palate. At the peak, however, were the 1934 and 1935 . Two great years. The 34 is more elegant, the 35 is something massive and sweet with slightly spicy notes.

The vintage 1945 has become amazing, perfect now, but still with a structure to further decades of development. Showed bright garnet, still with red highlights. Beautiful mature blackberry fruit on the palate, along with hints of tobacco tangy spices, medium-long finish, perfectly integrated alcohol.

The Vintage 1960 on the other hand had matured much further, relatively sweet and only of medium structure. But again in the upper class Ramos Pinto is definitely with the 1970 . Still cherry red, almost unbelievable for a port who is over 40 year old. Already drinking very nice, welcoming warmth and beautiful wild berry notes. I think we will have thereto much joy in the coming decades.

The vintages of the 80s consistently showed a high level. Even in temperate years 1982 was possible to generate a very respectable vintage port, which should be enjoyed by them as the first after all. 1980, 1983 and 1985 are still concentrated and show their age, unlike many other producers ports, hardly.

Due to the medium year 1991 was somewhat lighter. But 1994 shows that this is a very good port of a great vintage. Is only now beginning to open slightly, excellent structure, velvety tannins, I think can still be at least 15 years. Even the 1997 . He is said to not have much, maybe not quite as powerful as the 1994, but also very promising and charming. It will be very interesting to see which of the two will better develop.

And also in the new millennium the class of Ramos Pinto is still high, even though all three are very different due to its vintage characteristics. 2000 : I like it, pleasantly proportioned tannins and a nice spice to the wild berry notes, but these are not as dominant as in other cohorts with much higher yields.
2003 is objective clearly considered the most powerful of the three and the bigest Vintage Port. Still extremely closed with enormous-present tannins and very concentrated berry fruit, make an assessment of the underlying structure is extremely difficult. I think this is a great vintage that still needs a lot of time.
2007 on the other hand is much more elegant. Something like the dainty little sister to 2003. This port is fresh, medium-bodied and already pleasant to drink. A kind of a rare Charmer among young port wines. This is unusual and still shows the port in the background caressing tannins that should allow a long development. Many experts predict this a great vintage. Without a doubt the 2007, which come from a moderately warm, rather precipitate rich year, performing well over a medium-long period and be pleasant to drink, also I'm sceptic, but let me would like to teach better from these ports in 25 years.

In very small quantities (about 5000 bottles) is sometimes also a Single Quinta Vintage Port from Quinta da Ervamoira generated . Most recently in 2007 and 2009. During the 07 is currently difficult to assess, and a port of medium-bodied with nice fruit notes, the 2009 clearly shows the characteristics of this hot, dry vintage. He is very focused, of strong flavor, with lots of extract and powerful tannins. (this both were not part of the tasting, but was tasted from me at a visit of Quinta Ervamoira in July 2012)

Tawnies in a class
As a Portuguese house Ramos Pinto has always specialized on the production of quality Tawnies. Almeida's father once said, "a vintage is a wine, a tawny is a port". Colheitas were once filled in small amounts, but not anymore. However, they have outstanding aged Tawnies. Here is the series with a ten year old, who comes from the Quinta da Ervamoira begun. It is a mature and elegant of its kind. The 20 year old , "Quinta do Bom Retiro", is my favorite. This has power and elegance of a mature port wine and flavors combine with a wide range of nuts, raisins, dried fruit with medium sweetness and perfectly integrated alcohol with a trace acid that this port provides a pleasant freshness. The 30 year old Tawny is even more concentrated and a little bit more sweet. Slightly malty notes and with a significant acid, that makes him fresh and intereseting (10y and 20y Tawny were not part of the tasting, but were tasted a few weeks ago).

Just a pity that the vintage ports from Ramos Pinto are so hard to obtain. They are often much cheaper than the big names and plenty of drinking pleasure. But just the older vintage ports were only produced in quantities of 10,000 to 20,000 bottles and are therefore correspondingly rare. The recent vintages have a circulation of app. 50,000 bottles.

Pictures from the tasting can be found at my website: http://www.passion-port.de/bilder_album.php?id=16
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Sat. 13th Oct; great Ramos Pinto vertical from 1880 - 20

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Christopher

Thank you for posting your thoughts on the Ramos Pinto ports from the wonderful tasting last weekend. I read your comments with great interest - I love Ramos Pinto's style, but find it very difficult to buy their ports becuase they don't seem to be shipped in any volume to the UK.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

thanks for the feedback Alex.

I think you´re right, they don´t shipped to UK. And that is maybe to most important point, why there vintage ports are often underrated and underestimated.

But be sure, it is also very difficult to find older vintage ports from Ramos Pinto in Germany. But it is worth to look for. I looked for different german wine auctions for 4 years and except one bottle of 1931 and some bottles of 1994, they never appear.
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Sounds like a fantastic event.

I have had so little RP, but was impressed by the 94. I will be on the look out for older stuff!
Rob C.
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Hi Rob,

Yes it was fantastic. Apart from the pictures and my tasting notices I mad also a video from the tasting including an interview with Mr. Almeida. Actually I make it ready, and soon if it is finished I will inform you and sent you the link to YuoTube. :D
--------
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

thanks, Christopher, for posting this.

I am just about to note down my german notes and then have to forward those to english.

Executive Summary: Old Ramos Pinto are much worth looking out for. 1960 was the only disappointment. 1970 was spot on and from 1980 on - except 91 - the RP Vintage Ports are a must have (tried) for serious Port lovers.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What a great coincidence - my birthday present this morning was a bottle of Ramos Pinto 2000.

Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Congratulations, Alex, you definitely did something better than me as noone would ever get me a bottle of Port for my birthday.

Have a wonderful day.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

From this gorgeous tasting I made a video which is now published on You Tube and on my website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX3IIO3Jak

The video is in english with german subtitles and includes apart from a review of the tasting a very interesting interview with Mr. Joao Nicolau de Almeida. It was a great pleasure for me to interview this famous winemaker and to speak with him about his achievements for portugese enolgy and the house of Ramos Pinto.
--------
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for making the video, for uploading to YouTube, and for linking from here. Very good.

(Another fan of NN63 not helping the price.)
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Danke für das Video, nicely done and I believe that the reception is much wider in english.

All best

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Great video, very interesting...and it was also really interesting to see the colours of the ports at the tasting. The 1931 was much paler than I would have expected!

christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

thanks for your feedback.
The 1931 was much paler than I would have expected!
yes this is right. the 1931 was the lightest from the VP of the first half from 20th century. even the 1924 VP had a bright brick red color and was much darker than 1931.

but maybe the bottle of the 1931 was not in perfect condition. the wine had a strong note of mushrooms in the nose, and the palate was not as good as expected. sadly I havn´t a second bottle of this in my cellar to verify :(
--------
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Do not worry, Alex as you will be having this much sooner than you think.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Ahh Axel was it you who bought the bottle from Fine and Rare? I just missed it!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote:Do not worry, Alex as you will be having this much sooner than you think.

Axel
How wonderful! I shall be bringing something (I hope) matches up in quality...

Axel P

Post by Axel P »

AHB wrote:How wonderful! I shall be bringing something (I hope) matches up in quality...
Much looking forward to this, Alex.

Best

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com