1985 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WS1
Cruz 1989

1985 Niepoort

Post by WS1 »

Original thread subject: Niepoort 1985 (good bt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

dark bright red color, 70% opague, black currants and elder, lovely texture, very long finish, a baby port in this condition! Vibrant, cherry and mint flavours combined with a medium to full bodied port appearance. Very balanced and well structured. Lovely, Lovely port!!!!!

Sadly you probably get 1bt in 12bts to be like that. The others have heavy VA and are just awful!

Thank you Axel for giving/selling this good bt to me out of the case you bought and shared. I was present when you opend 4bts out of the same case and they were all heavily damaged by VA. I only opened this bt today since it was slightly leaking, it is ~ -5C during the day (~-15C during night) at my mothers place and I thought it may do for a lunch tipple. I was badly wrong, will save most for dinner later.

Thread subject edited by DRT in order to make indexing easier.
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 1985 Niepoort

Post by WS1 »

Firstly apologies for having upset indexing! Secondly for having been carried away having a good bt of Niepoort 1985 to enjoy over a miserable day here at my mothers place in Germany. Circumstamces are bad, its is very cold and it is snowing heavily. This means I have to shovel snow again twice a day tomorrow. I fear I need to open another bt of proper port tomorrow! :oops: :lol:
Second halve (had another tipple before starting shoveling again :wink: ) of the Niepoort 1985 is very similar to ealier today; a bit dryer on the finish and more elegant as a port. Also Elder and ink were replaced by more cherry flavours. Again really classy, lovely port!
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 1985 Niepoort

Post by Chris Doty »

Wolfgang!

Merry christmas, ja?!

Niepoort is so frustrating! When bottles show well, they are maybe my favorite for the vintage (1997, for instance, had it not been for the Noval, maybe 2000 in time), but when they are bad it feels miserable (at least to me, bucause they are hard to find in the us). I've had two great 85s and 2 va 85s. Makes it really difficult to buy anymore bottles.

Thanks for the note!

Prost
Chris