1970 Calem

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Calem vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

An odd bottle - consigned to an auction (as part of a job lot) for showing some signs of seepage - and bought by me..

Also, a bit of a scarcity - I don't recall noting Ca70 at auction before or since..

Clearly an ex. cellars bottle - a venerable wax seal topped with a guarantee slip, with a rather modern and fresh label.

Lifted the cork with a Screwpull Sommelier - although this is designed for slightly shorter corks than that used for port, and as a result tends to scrunch the cork up, I'm warming to this device for it's wide spiral and gentle controlled action, which tends to lift old corks complete - albeit in kit form..

Decanted 6pm. Very dark for it's age, yet moderate sediment.

First sip - classic '70, licquorice note prominant - approachable

+ 5 hours

This is a very good wine, and among the darkest for the '70 vintage, indeed it is shouting 'too young' to me - which is very rare from this year.

This is shaping up as something of a 'find' - more anon..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Hand on Heart I don't think I've ever drunk a Calem port
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

More than a day on and I remain very impressed by this wine.

It's biggest claim to fame has to be the fact that while other 70's are at 'plateau' stage - or modestly in decline - this wine has yet to reach it's summit.

Not hopelessly young - it's nearly there - but still on the upswing.

On the downside is the sense that the wine is incomplete - that there is a missing element - the right side side of my palate says happy - the left says not..

Overall though, this is an excellent wine, and very much one for the long haul - if I see more come to auction, I will be bidding - even though my current stocks of 70's are more than adequate!

Score 7-8

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill