Please buy me…

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Please buy me…

Post by jdaw1 »

This thread is for present requests.

Normally I don’t like presents, but an exception to that rule is lot 461 of the next Acker auction: three bottles of Noval Nacional 1963. Estimated $7500 to $9500. Plus 21% buyer’s premium.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm just re-negotiating my mortgage, to see if I can help. :roll:

The thing that grabbed my attention was the Nacional 97. I suspect that bottle has flown under my radar. Even on wineSearcher, it is rare and £400 a bottle. Now I understand the rarity of the Nacional part of the vineyard, but was 97 a poor yield but very high quality?
Or are they just having a laugh?
I wouldn't mind so much if it was in it's proper drinking window.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I was surprised to find that the NN97 was the same price as the NN63 in the Noval shop :shock:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In my opinion, the '97 Nacional (and even the '94 Nacional) are overpriced compared to the more mature vintages that you can buy.

Would I prefer a bottle of the '63 that is drinking superbly today and will be better in 10 years and will then hold like that for another 50? Or would I prefer a bottle of the '97 that won't even be worth drinking for another 25 years?

However, the Nacionals definitely have the edge over their more common bretheren - their resale and auction prices generally don't drop from release prices due to their scarcity!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

I entirely agree. However, what surprised me the most is that the NN97 has increased in price on the Noval shop pricelist from 1000 Euro to 2200 Euro in less than 3 years whilst most others, including the 63, have remained static. I wonder why this is?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Well here's a theory! Please feel free to laugh.

Could it be our American Cousins? They have been growing rapidly as consumers of such drinks over the last decade. This is a rare drink anyway, and is vulnerable to over-consumption. If it is now being attacked on both sides of the Pond, and drunk early by our friends, the Supply & Demand pressures increase.
This potential trend would first show itself in popular Big years (eg, 94, 97), in limited stock.

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan...blame the Americans...OK, your probably right :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Well , there's no Canadian influence , that's for sure !!
Hell , in Québec , VP consumption amounts to less than 5% of sales .
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

ADV wrote:Alan...blame the Americans...OK, your probably right :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be a poofta, clearly it's not the US Port drinkers, given that I live in a metro area of ~7 million and have a hard time even finding a port tasting, much less very many serious Port collectors. If you must blame someone, blame the French...after all, they are the number one comsumers. Everybody in my area is concentrated on collecting California cult wines, much less Bordeaux, and nobody even knows what Port is!

For my money, I would go with the 63, having had both the 63, 94, 00, and 03 at the quinta last year. But I think that you can still find the 94/97/00/03 for around $750 US last time I looked (500 Euros as of this writing).

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I don't think we can blame the Yanks or the French for this. The French market is almost entirely cheap ruby and tawny for around 10 Euor or less a bottle. You wouldstruggle to find anyone in France who would comprehend spending 2000 Euro on a bottle of port.

As for our ex-colony, I am convinced by the argument put forward that they only drink young VP because they have little choice given the lack of mature VP in circulation and prohibative pricing. That being the case, why would anyone in their right mind buy a young port at $3,000 a bottle to drink now. It just doesn't stack up.

I wonder if someone has given the 97 a stellar review in the past year or two and compared it to the greats from 31 and 63? That might explain the price hike being driven by perception rather than demand or consumption.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Derek ,

If we can't blame the French nor the Yanks nor les Québecois , someone , no matter which side of the pond , will succomb to these outrageous prices . . .