Doty's Triumphant Return - London, Friday, February 15th

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Doty's Triumphant Return - London, Friday, February 15th

Post by Chris Doty »

Gents,

After an inexcusably long absence, I have finally booked tickets to return to London over Presidents' Day Weekend (February 15th - 18th), and plan to sponsor a port tasting in honor of my TPF friends. AHB probably knows a few of the bottles I will have in tow, but for the most part my intention is to bring some blind treasures and see if anyone can guess what they may be.

In terms of venue/placemats, I'd certainly welcome some local logistical support if someone would like to volunteer.

So, chime in with availability. I look forward to finally catching up with you guys in a few weeks!!

Warm Regards
Chris
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Doty's Triumphant Return - London, Friday, February 15th

Post by benread »

I shall do my best to create a pass. Having just cancelled a boys weekend to act as nursemaid to a sick wife, I think my chances are good!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:placemats
Surely me. Yes. Instruct.
Chris Doty wrote:venue
The obvious choice is the The Bung Hole, 57 High Holborn, London WC1V 6DT.
Chris Doty wrote:my TPF friends
I would be honoured to be included, and shall seek permission.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

That's the spirit, chaps!

Re: placemats...all bottles will be brought blind, served in flights of 2. I have identified 10 bottles so far, but may get up to 12 in the days ahead. As names for the individual circles, iIm thinking perhaps each guest could email jdaw a one word description of myself or the period of time I spent in london (though please do your best to avoid profanity, as tempting as it may be!). I may even bring a reward for whoever is judged to have summed me up best.

re: venue, the bung hole, while perhaps having a different connotation in English than in American, should be a perfectly suitable venue, and please feel free to let them know that we're coming

re: friends, of course that's a silly question, and I would be sincerely disappointed not to see you. Been too long.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Chris Doty wrote:iIm thinking perhaps each guest could email jdaw a one word description of myself or the period of time I spent in london (though please do your best to avoid profanity, as tempting as it may be!). I may even bring a reward for whoever is judged to have summed me up best.
I am not sure if you are formally 'Christopher' but were you, and were two words permissable, then I believe the anagram 'Cherish port' would have served me well!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm in!

Hmmm? That means I am in London two weekends out of three. Perhaps I should seek permission? Or...

I'm in! :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:perhaps having a different connotation in English than in American
They’re probably the same, which might be why the owner is trying a new rubbish dull corporate name, which we are refusing to use.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
Chris Doty wrote:perhaps having a different connotation in English than in American
They’re probably the same, which might be why the owner is trying a new rubbish dull corporate name, which we are refusing to use.
Nonsense. Either side of the Atlantic a bung hole is the hole in the barrel into which the bung is driven. What else could it mean? Whatever else it means, it is an excellent choice for the venue. Other venues might be available if TBH is not acceptable. If you are happy to use the Bung Hole then let us know and we'll book the private room.

Friday or Saturday? (And no, I will not get permission for both!) Or Sunday?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
Permission sought, and granted. Praise be to Mrs W.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
You are very lucky to have such an understanding and beautiful wife. It is no wonder you go on, and on and on about how wonderful and beautiful she is when we are at Port tastings. Now I understand.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
You are very lucky to have such an understanding and beautiful wife. It is no wonder you go on, and on and on about how wonderful and beautiful she is when we are at Port tastings. Now I understand.
Well, she is.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Well, she is.
What is most remarkable of all is that she had already given permission for this. I think Sainthood must be on her horizon.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:permission for this
Err, let me check.
SCP-DFF
Taylor’s LBV

Post by SCP-DFF »

DRT: You've made my day. You have a way with words. I feel like a Goddess. Also, this has inspired me to really want to meet your Mrs. Does she fall under your spell with the sweet talking? Or is she now immune?

Mr W did not tell me about the 26th Feb. There's nothing going on at the Wiseman household except the little monsters doing their usual shenanigans. So, yes, JDAW is free.

As for the 15th, SCP-DFS (formally known as SCP-DFF), has been invited to a night of drinking with fellow moms. I'm taking my husband's port, serving it to the ladies, and we're going to find out how well these Brit women can really drink! There's no competition. I know I can't drink. They'll be happy enough to drink my hubby's port!

Since the wife is out, Julian thought he was in no luck. But the au pair saved the day and offered her babysitting services to watch the kids. Now Julian will be free to join you all and I will have my turn to go out drinking with my fellow lady friends!

Hurray! We all win.

-SCP-DFS

PS - Does Julian really talk about his wife during the port tastings? Surely not. You middle-aged men love to talk about young damsels!
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi Chris,

I am in England that weekend; thought I take a breather after going to a big Burgundy tasting in Austria the weekend befoer and to a very big CDP tasting the week after. But seeing after such a long period of time; am already looking fwd to it. So would like to attend.

Also am sure to find an excellent bt of port to bring by :lol:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SCP-DFF wrote:DRT: You've made my day. You have a way with words. I feel like a Goddess. Also, this has inspired me to really want to meet your Mrs. Does she fall under your spell with the sweet talking? Or is she now immune?
I plead the 5th.
SCP-DFF wrote:PS - Does Julian really talk about his wife during the port tastings? Surely not. You middle-aged men love to talk about young damsels!
Yes, he really does. Whenever the chaps start talking of young damsels our friend from south west London glazes over and starts mumbling under his breath about wishing he was at home with his beloved wife. Sometimes a small tear falls down his cheek. It is a very humbling experience for all of us.

I do hope you enjoy your night with the girls, which you obviously so richly deserve. Don't worry about Julian, we will look after him.

Have the words ‟Taylor” and ‟Vertical” appeared in conversation at Chez Wiseman recently?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

benread wrote:I believe the anagram 'Cherish port' would have served me well!
I quite agree -- I can't believe I hadn't noticed that!

Glad you can make it, Ben.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote:I'm in!

Hmmm? That means I am in London two weekends out of three. Perhaps I should seek permission? Or...

I'm in! :D

Would expect nothing less from you!

Really looking forward to seeing everyone.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

jdaw1 wrote:

I see....if that is 'Davy's Bar and Grill' than I am 100% with you. That may indeed be the least worthwhile name for a pub since Slug and Lettuce.

Bunghole it is.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

SCP-DFF wrote:I feel like a Goddess....There's nothing going on at the Wiseman household except the little monsters doing their usual shenanigans. So, yes, JDAW is free.
Like what you're doing here.
SCP-DFF wrote:Now Julian will be free to join you all and I will have my turn to go out drinking with my fellow lady friends! Hurray! We all win.
Excellent!
SCP-DFF wrote:You middle-aged men
28 hardly seems middle aged to me. :shock:

Please consider yourself invited to any tasting I am involved in -- and it sounds like quite a pity that we'll be counting you out of these festivities!
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote:Hi Chris,

I am in England that weekend; thought I take a breather after going to a big Burgundy tasting in Austria the weekend befoer and to a very big CDP tasting the week after. But seeing after such a long period of time; am already looking fwd to it. So would like to attend.

Also am sure to find an excellent bt of port to bring by :lol:

regards

WS1
Wolfy!

You're a beast my friend, and I am really thrilled that you are going to come out and help celebrate my return to London. Every tasting is more fun with you present, and I look forward to catching up. Was the Austrian tasting something by Gerhard? I've always wanted to attend one of his events -- seems like a fabulous host.

Anyway, I hope all's well,
Chris
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Nonsense. Either side of the Atlantic a bung hole is the hole in the barrel into which the bung is driven. What else could it mean? Whatever else it means, it is an excellent choice for the venue. Other venues might be available if TBH is not acceptable. If you are happy to use the Bung Hole then let us know and we'll book the private room.

Friday or Saturday? (And no, I will not get permission for both!) Or Sunday?

Had to save this one for last.....

Really don't know where to take this one...

Well, in any case -- we are talking the evening of Friday, the 15th. @ the bunghole. You will have special instructions. I will call you sometime this week to discuss.

Can't wait!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This feels like a plan that is very much coming together, but I don't yet understand the theme.

Is it:

1. Bring a bottle of VP wrapped in foil (and hopefully not poured down your leg) to share with Doty, or;

2. Bring some cash to adopt one or more of Doty's bottles?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Chris Doty wrote:
SCP-DFF wrote:I feel like a Goddess...
Please consider yourself invited to any tasting I am involved in -- and it sounds like quite a pity that we'll be counting you out of these festivities!
Be very careful here, Chris. It is only with great age and experience that JDAW and I have learned to manage the expectations of a complex creature such as SCP-DFF without her realising what we are up to. Wisdom does indeed come with age.
[/size]
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:without her realising what we are up to.
She’ll never guess.