1983 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1983 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by KillerB »

Opened last night with a view to possibly wrapping it in aluminium foil (passing it off as tin) and trotting down to that London to meet Derek and Alex. Knackerdness prevailed.

Had a glass of it about an hour after decanting. It's a nice ruby colour with pleasant but not staggering legs. Nose was understated (approximately non-existent). In the mouth a little thin but nice juicy damsons finishing with Columbian coffee.

Tonight it has thickened up adding greatly to the enjoyment.

Overall this has a nice balance and the Warre's elegance that I love but it lacks a certain something. More than happy to drink it but it's not my favourite Warre's. Suspect an abundance of Fonseca a few weeks ago has buggered up my taste-buds.
Port is basically a red drink
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Nose was understated (approximately non-existent).
I'm clocking that as the signature of the vintage - strange, but true..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Polished off last night to sounds of "ooh that's nice", "very warming" and "lovely" as Tracie and my Mum were sipping some whilst the Rugby was on. So seems to go down well.

Seems to have got more aniseed as it's got older, resulting in something akin to Army and Navy tablets. Still lacks depth but thoroughly enjoyable.
Port is basically a red drink