1983 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1983 Taylor VP

Post by uncle tom »

First bottle out of a case bought last year.

The folly of totally opaque glass comes home when bottles reach this age - how does one spot the bottle that is losing level faster than the others, and should therefore be drunk first?

As it was, I picked this bottle because it had the worst label - the case had quite a lot of fungal activity inside when I opened it..

Looked a little pale as I decanted - small amount of mostly fine sediment.

At first sip I was not impressed - small amount of bottle stink and not a lot else on the nose, on the palate it was weak and very fiery.

Four hours on and the bottle stink has gone, as has most of the fire, drinkable, but somewhat lacking in substance.

Still, it's come a long way since I first opened it, hopefully it will evolve a little more...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Well, evolve it has - but slowly!

After 24 hours it was more presentable, but still fiery and weak on the nose - at this point I did wonder if it might be very slightly corked.

Now, this evening, after 48 hours, it is finally coming together, with the fire much reduced, and nose much better - not corked - I think..?

This wine is now a mile away from where it was when first decanted.

That said, this was not Taylor's finest hour. The wine has clear signatures both of Taylor and the 83 vintage, but they don't seem to be very happy together.

An acceptable wine, but no star..

To score: For immediate gratification, this wine ranks slightly below the median, so a 4.

Wher's it going? A mature wine, it will probably be still on it's plateau in ten years time -

- so my score is 4-4

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

T83: terrible

Post by jdaw1 »

In my limited experience Taylor 1983 is Taylor’s worst declaration since the war (unless they declared 1975?); and Taylor 1983 is the worst 1983 of the major houses. I am not a fan.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Taylor did declare '75 - but along with Graham (and closely followed by Croft) it is a wine that bucks the negative reputation of the '75 vintage - not a superstar, but declaration-worthy..

~~~

Another day and this wine keeps getting better - much better - but who would normally wait this long?

Anyone who tackled this wine soon after decanting would dismiss it as a disaster...

OK - if you've got a case - or just a bottle or three - go get a fat felt pen and write on the case or label:

"Four days decanting time required"

Tom :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Out of interest, what does this stuff cost (retail and auction)?

Derek
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Derek,

The most recent hammer falls have been in the low £300's - retail price is around £40/bottle

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

That seems very high for what has been described above. If you were buying it again what would you pay?

Derek
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

What for the worst producer of the worst vintage since the war? Patently (though I've never had it) this is the Jade Goody Port and should be similarly ostracised by society... well, us.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Worst post-war port? Royal Oporto 1985.

Post by jdaw1 »

Worst post-war port? Royal Oporto 1985.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

This seems to be the only TN for this port on the Forum. My expereience matched that of Uncle Tom almost exctly. After a few hours, the wine gave nothing. It was tight, almost astringent. After 24 hours it began to reveal a little more, and after 48 was singing.

This, like my hobby horse, Dow 85, is a wine which has been unfairly traduced in tastings in which the wines have breathed for just a few hours. No, it is not of the top flight, but with vintage port, even the average is pretty good.

John
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: 1983 Taylor VP

Post by John Danza »

This wine was served with dessert at a dinner I attended last night. It was dissappointing. I agree with Julian that this was not Taylor's best effort in a long run. At best, medium to light ruby in color. There's a little alcohol heat on the palate, but not oppressive. The wine had very little sweetness. This bottle was from a case bought upon release and stored in pristine conditions since then, with no movement. Several bottles were served and all came out looking the same, and some compared notes revealed the same impressions.
John Danza